[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] MAXTOR XT-480E Disks in RT 6150/125

ehrlich@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (08/02/90)

Hello.  We recently purchased some additional MAXTOR XT-480E disk
drives to install into our RT 6150/125 system.  Unfortunately the RT
diagnostics do not recognize the disk as a H310. The stand-alone format
utility on the Installation MiniRoot finds the disk but can not read or
write to it.  After closer inspection of a working drive from IBM and a
drive from MAXTOR we noticed the following differences.  I was hoping
that some individual out there could shed some light on why the MAXTOR
drives do not work.

From the label on the back of the drive:

	IBM		MAXTOR

TLA	1094298 3	1094508 2
HDA	1013115001	1014294
PCBA	101554 1	10185285 A

On the circuit board on the bottom of the disk we found three ICs with
different labels attached (locations are assuming that the power
connector is in the lower left corener when looking down on the circuit
board):

Location	Description		IBM		MAXTOR
Upper left	Large IC		1015191		1018388
corner					5E.06		5E.07
					C-1988		C-1988

Lower		Small IC		1015368		1018952
middle					A.20		M01.1
					C-1988		C-1988

Lower		Small IC		1015366		1018950
middle					A.20		M01.1
					C-1988		C-1988

When the stand alone format runs the folowing error messages are
produced:

HD2: Disk I/O Error - CMD=READ
Err=0x10<ID-NOT-FOUND> Status=0x51<ERROR,SEEK-DONE,DRIVE-READY> Cyl=0 Hd=0 Sect=2 Sct=1

After producing a few of these format ask the following:

Formating drive hd2: verify (yes/no)?

Answering yes results in format complaining about not being able to
read the drive configuration record.  It then asks if you want to
create a configuration record.  After answering all the questions asked
about the configuration format complains about not being able to write
to the disk and spews out error messages similar to the ones above.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

seeley@seeley.austin.ibm.com (/100000) (08/09/90)

In article <Fx9rn.c1@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>Hello.  We recently purchased some additional MAXTOR XT-480E disk
>drives to install into our RT 6150/125 system.  Unfortunately the RT
>diagnostics do not recognize the disk as a H310. The stand-alone format
>utility on the Installation MiniRoot finds the disk but can not read or
>write to it.  After closer inspection of a working drive from IBM and a
>drive from MAXTOR we noticed the following differences.  I was hoping
>that some individual out there could shed some light on why the MAXTOR
>drives do not work.

>--
>Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

(Forwarding response from Tom Forrer, IBM Austin:) - - - - -

 FROM: T R FORRER                   T/L 678-5138
       DEPT F50 / BLD 045,ZIP = 4326
       AUSTIN, TX 78759

 The Maxtor drive in question does not have the short Index pulse that is
 required by the EESDI controller.  The customer needs to contact Maxtor to
 find out how to get the short Index Pulse feature installed on their drive.
 (It may require an added jumper or an component and wire adds depending
 upon the level of the drive electronics card.)

       REGARDS,
       TOM

Newsgroups: sender
Subject: Re: MAXTOR XT-480E Disks in RT 6150/125

In article <Fx9rn.c1@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>Hello.  We recently purchased some additional MAXTOR XT-480E disk
>drives to install into our RT 6150/125 system.  Unfortunately the RT
>diagnostics do not recognize the disk as a H310. The stand-alone format
>utility on the Installation MiniRoot finds the disk but can not read or
>write to it.  After closer inspection of a working drive from IBM and a
>drive from MAXTOR we noticed the following differences.  I was hoping
>that some individual out there could shed some light on why the MAXTOR
>drives do not work.

>--
>Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

(Forwarding response from Tom Forrer, IBM Austin:) - - - - -

 FROM: T R FORRER                   T/L 678-5138
       DEPT F50 / BLD 045,ZIP = 4326
       AUSTIN, TX 78759

 The Maxtor drive in question does not have the short Index pulse that is
 required by the EESDI controller.  The customer needs to contact Maxtor to
 find out how to get the short Index Pulse feature installed on their drive.
 (It may require an added jumper or an component and wire adds depending
 upon the level of the drive electronics card.)

       REGARDS,
       TOM

--
# Brian D. Seeley       (512) 823-4447  (IBM) 793-4447
# cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!seeley.austin.ibm.com!seeley