[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] rt 2.2.1 ptys

majec@peyote.cactus.org (Majec Systems) (08/09/90)

If any of you folks have had this problem mabey you can help me.
I have just installed 2.2.1 bos on a rt pc 125. Everthing seems to
work fine except x-windows. Here is what happens . The devices command
has allowed me to create ptys numbered pts0 thru pts13. Showall list
the ptys in that manner, pts0...pts3..pts13 etc. However it also shows
0's in the port, slot , IODN columns. This has led me to believe that
they do not have a location in the file system.

If I issue xinit, X-windows will allow me to open 12
windows and then no more. When exiting X there is a message on the
screen saying no ptys were available. If I loggout and log back in
the
devices command shows all 12 ptys, but x will not open a window and on
exit the message is "no ptys were available". I cain't find out the
problem. I am a novice... but have RTFM many many times . Help please
Thanks.
Eg

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (08/11/90)

majec@peyote.cactus.org (Majec Systems) writes:
>If I issue xinit, X-windows will allow me to open 12
>windows and then no more. When exiting X there is a message on the
>screen saying no ptys were available. If I loggout and log back in
>the
>devices command shows all 12 ptys, but x will not open a window and on
>exit the message is "no ptys were available". I cain't find out the
>problem. I am a novice... but have RTFM many many times . Help please
>Thanks.
>Eg

Every time you open an aixterm window, you must use one pty for each
terminal process you have just created. That means that if you have
12 pty's, you have 12 login sessions (they are not really logins, but...).
Either way, you will have to increase the number of pty's if you want
more (which means modifying some files like /etc/master and others).
E-mail to me if you need those directions.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC