[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] 4.3BSD sources for RT/PC

misha@huji.ac.il (Michael Pak) (08/13/90)

I am very interested in obtaining the 4.3BSD sources for IBM RT/PC.
(ACIS or AOS)
Is there anywhere I can get them using FTP (or similiar means)?
(Though the complete sources are preferrable, I could settle just for
 the machine dependent part).

Thanks a lot.

* Michael Pak                            *
* Department of Computer Science,        *
* Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel *
* E-Mail: misha@boojum.huji.ac.il        *

brunner@bullhead.uucp (08/14/90)

In article <misha.650545394@mush> misha@boojum.huji.ac.il (of the department
of computer science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Isreal) writes:

>I am very interested in obtaining the 4.3BSD sources for IBM RT/PC.
>(ACIS or AOS)
>Is there anywhere I can get them using FTP (or similiar means)?
>(Though the complete sources are preferrable, I could settle just for
> the machine dependent part).

Misha,

IBM/4.3 (originally "AOS", then "ACIS") for the rt (6150, 6151 and 6152),
was _only_ distributed in source form in North America, with European and
Asian "regional" distributors in Sweden and Japan, resp. The entire kernel
and user sources were contained in the distribution (which origianlly did
not include the 6152), with the following exceptions:

	binary only for the 8514 display, and
	binary only for the DWB-versions of tbl, nroff, and friends
		(though 32V/berkeley-versions of each were supplied in
		 source form).

The distribution was a creation of the Academic arm of IBM (since re-organized)
and intended for Universities only, most of which have Berkeley sources and
all the licenses that requires. Since European support was withdrawn earlier
this year, I don't think that there is any way that you can get a current
distribution (Dec. 1988) from IBM in Europe (I'm assuming that Israel is in
Europe in this _very_ limited context), or from Chalmers (Sweden). I can't
send you one for several reasons: Israel isn't in North America, I don't have
a note from our license people to the effect that you (HUJ) hold a valid 32V
and Regents license, and probably something to do with the announced withdrawal
of support for the product IBM-wide (see my posting(s) of last May).

Assuming that you _have_ the Dec 88 distribution, I can start the process of
sending binaries of the current C, Pascal and FORTRAN compilers, and of the
posted patches (the patches are available via anonymous ftp), see the postings
in this newsgroup of a month or so ago. The process may complete in finite
time.

If you are serious send a postal mail request to me. The address is:

Eric Brunner
Advanced Workstation Division
1510 Page Mill Road - MS/35A
Palo Alto, California 94304
U.S.A.

Note: All of the early history of the distribution is my best effort at
reconstruction - at the time of the first distribution I was finnishing
the X/OPEN CAE in  Munich for Siemens et al, and have no personal knowledge
of the product prior to May 1989. Any errors, and there are bound to be
several, are mine.

Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu		uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner

trying to understand multiprocessing is like having bees live inside your head.