[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Dynamic Linking

jsin@seashell.seas.ucla.edu (Just Another John) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug29.172240@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> webb@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) writes:
>|> dyer@arktouros.mit.edu (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Aha, another gross hack come back to haunt me too!

Well, speaking of shared memory, I was wondering if it is possible to link
.o files at run time?  I'm porting a program written for SunOS which uses
dynamic link-loading - I've read their code and attempted to modify it for
use on our Dec/88 AOS 4.3 RTs, but I haven't quite got it working
(segmentation fault when trying to jump to the new routine).

There is a flag for "ld" which mentions this capability, but I'm not
proficient enough to figure it out in couple of days.  Has anyone wrote
a dynamic link/load package for the IBM RTs running AOS?
Thanks,
--
John (Jonghoon) Sin       (Above opinions are my own etc, etc, etc...)
UCLA SEASnet Facilities   InterNet: jsin@seas.ucla.edu

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (09/04/90)

In article <1028@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> jsin@seashell.seas.ucla.edu (Just Another John) writes:

>Well, speaking of shared memory, I was wondering if it is possible to link
>.o files at run time?  I'm porting a program written for SunOS which uses
>dynamic link-loading - I've read their code and attempted to modify it for
>use on our Dec/88 AOS 4.3 RTs, but I haven't quite got it working
>(segmentation fault when trying to jump to the new routine).

The Andrew software package from CMU comes with a dynamic object loader.  If
you've got a spare few hundred megabytes of disk you could get that (or find
a source tree to copy the dynamic loader from).

I'm looking into real shared libraries (the right solution -- dynamic object
to copy the modifiable data per process [which is probably only about 10-25%
of the text size]).

--
    --John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)