[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] non-IBM disks for RT

map@christine.fac.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Puskar) (10/24/90)

Has anyone had any luck using non-IBM disks on the RT?
If so, please let me know what disks you got to work
and how you did it? Thanks.

		Mark Puskar

brunner@bullhead.uucp (10/24/90)

In article <10840@pt.cs.cmu.edu> map@christine.fac.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Puskar) writes:
>Has anyone had any luck using non-IBM disks on the RT?
>If so, please let me know what disks you got to work
>and how you did it? Thanks.

Mark and everyone else,

I've gotten the Chalmers scsi driver to support disks intended for the RS/6000
which, by some quirk :-), I can get easier than I can get non-IBM drives.
These are rebadged Maxtor drives, and I know that someone else has used the
same driver for a Wren. The drive works fine, we'd some problems which appeared
to be processor-specific but turned out to be the effect of too many debug
printf's in the driver, and it presently interferes with the token-ring
driver. When I fix that I'll post the driver and related materials.

On a realted topic, the accompaning streamer driver is in use here to support
8mm tape (Exabyte), it presently interferes with the floppy drive(s), but I
consider this a reasonable trade off -- lose a 1.2Mb storage device and gain
a 2Gb device.

Both are in production use here. Expect this stuff out next week.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu		uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner
trying to understand multiprocessing is like having bees live inside your head.