[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Ethernet config

beauchem@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) (10/26/90)

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I had to add an Ethernet card to an RT and configure it to talk to a
Sun on the same Ethernet segment.  I never could manage to configure the RT so
that it knew who it was and what was its internet address.

What do we have to do to correct it?

Thanks for your help.

=== Denis Beauchemin,  === beauchem@DMI.USherb.CA ===
=== Dir. R&D           ==============================
=== Sisca Informatique === I speak for myself...  ===
=== (819) 564-4003.    ==============================

liesert@nixdorf.de (Liesert) (11/09/90)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt Denis Beauchemin writes:

>Hi everybody,

>Yesterday I had to add an Ethernet card to an RT and configure it to talk to a
>Sun on the same Ethernet segment.  I never could manage to configure the RT so
>that it knew who it was and what was its internet address.

>What do we have to do to correct it?

Hi out there!

I had problems too, when I tried to connect an RT 6151-115 to a net of
Nixdorf TARGON computers (running a Nixdorf version of UNIX called TOS),
even though IBM had delivered the machine with the baseband adapter already
built in! The RT is running under AIX 2.2.1.

I suppose you know about "the normal way" to install Ethernet and TCP/IP.
Here are some additional informations:

1. After building-in the baseband adapter, first test it using the
   maintenance diskette! Carefully note the adresses and other hardware
   parameters, you might need them later.

2. Install TCP/IP software according to the IBM manuals.

3. Use the devices command to create a new device (e.g. net0).
   Important: You have to type in the correct buffer addresses.
   The defaults are only correct if there is no co-processor card
   installed. IBM only tells about adress changes, if there is an
   AT-coprocessor. I had to do the same changes, because my machine
   had a FPU (and no AT-cop.).

4. When the software is configured (don't forget rc.tcpip, /etc/hosts
   a.s.o.) try the following command (insert your machine's name for
   <self>):

   ping <self>

   If this doesn't work, it means that your software can't reach the
   yellow cable, even though the hardware tests ran succesfully!
   If it worked fine, try to ping another machine in the net! If this
   works too, most of your problems should be solved.
   Remember: Your machine must be known to the others in the net.

5. Still there may be two problems:
   If rcp doesn't work, set the block length in /etc/net from 1518
   to 1500.
   If you install new ports for rlogin-use, note that these ports
   have to be disabled (use devices command).

Hans Joachim Liesert, Siemens-Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG, Dep. STO-SI 35
Pontanusstrasse 55, D-4790 Paderborn, Germany
Email:  liesert.pad@nixdorf.de
EUnet:  liesert.pad@nixpbe.uucp       USEnet: liesert.pad@nixdorf.com