[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] "no more processes" crash AIX 2.2.1

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (11/09/90)

We have been experiencing quite a few crashes due to "no more processes" on
our RT running AIX 2.2.1.  After this occurs, login prompts appear on all
terminals, but it is not possible to log in.  I am wondering if a) any one
else has experienced this phenomenon and b) if anyone knows of a solution.

Jim Beauchamp	j-beauchamp@uiuc.edu

frank@gremlin.austin.ibm.com (Frank Feuerbacher) (11/10/90)

In article <19700008@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> We have been experiencing quite a few crashes due to "no more processes" on
> our RT running AIX 2.2.1.

Sounds like you have reached the maximum number of processes for your system.
Look in /etc/master.  There are several stanzas of interest:
  procs     <-- I think this is max # of procs on system.
  maxprocs  <-- I think this is max # of procs per login.
  callouts  <-- Might need adjusting on busy systems.
  filetab   <-- Max # of open files on system
  inodetab  <-- ditto, should be same value.

Change the values as desired.
Rebuild the kernel.
Reboot

You may want to look these up in your system management book.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.

schweigl@edvvie.at (Johnny Schweigl) (12/06/90)

From article <19700008@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, by beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu:

> We have been experiencing quite a few crashes due to "no more processes" on
> our RT running AIX 2.2.1.  After this occurs, login prompts appear on all
> terminals, but it is not possible to log in.  I am wondering if a) any one
> else has experienced this phenomenon and b) if anyone knows of a solution.

You try to run too much processes either systemwide or per user.
Look into the file /etc/master and locate the following entries:

	procs = 400
	maxprocs = 40

procs 		is the maximum number of processes allowed systemwide
maxprocs 	is the maximum number of processes allowed per user
400 and 40  are values on my system. You will find lower values in your
			master file.

You simply banged against one of these. Edit /etc/master, replacing either
procs or maxprocs or both by some reasonable value.

Then build a new kernel, reboot, and your problem should have been gone ...

Regards, Johnny
--
This does not reflect the   | Johnny Schweigl
opinions of my employer.    | USENET: schweigl@edvvie.at