[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] ACIS Experimental Display help

dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) (05/07/91)

I just bought an ACIS Experimental Dispay, serial number 137.

I plan on using it on my PC (I know that it is not a multi-sync, and that
it will not work in normal resolutions, i.e. 640x480. ).  I am
confident that I can convert the video to a usable state.  I need
to know a few things though.

1)  The vertical scanning frequency.

2)  The horizontal scanning frequency.

3)  Is this a digital or analog monitor?  I seem to remember that our RTs
had 16 gray scales, but don't remember.  I do know that it used the standard
RT Advanced Monochrome Graphics adapter card (or whatever it was
called... :-).

4)  The input connector wiring diagram (I can figure this out, but I'll
waste time doing it.)

5)  Anything else you feel would be useful about converting it.

Please, no horror stories about person XXX tried this and it didn't work.
Stories of "I almost got it to work" are more than welcome, however.

Please respond via email, since I don't read this bboard (I don't
have an RT!)

Thanks in advance,

David Dwiggins
dd2x@andrew.cmu.edu

paquin@kahua.esd.sgi.com (Tom Paquin) (05/07/91)

In article <Qc9Qlby00UhBA4SG9F@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) writes:
|> I just bought an ACIS Experimental Dispay, serial number 137.

Wow.  That baby is about 7 years old.  Did you just buy the monitor?
No boards?  Wanna buy a set of boards?  :-)

The boards put out 1024x800 (yes, 800, not 768) noninterlaced, at
I *think* 67 Hz (or so?)  Can't remember details.  You night want to try
asking relyea@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.bom or selinger@mips.com.  Relyea
fiddles with this stuff a lot and is still at IBM.  Selinger designed
the thing in the first place (but hoo boy was that a long itme ago)-
both of them are named Bob.

I've never heard of successful use of that monitor on any boardset
except maybe an IBM 6155 (with mods).

--

		-Tom
*****

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.161528.29499@odin.corp.sgi.com>
	paquin@kahua.esd.sgi.com (Tom Paquin) writes:
>I've never heard of successful use of that monitor on any boardset
>except maybe an IBM 6155 (with mods).

We use the AED displays with 6155 adapters.  A minor hardware change had to
be made to make this work; I don't know what it was (new cables?).

I used to have an AED display connected to my workstation.  The IBM
diagnostics called it a "hardware problem" and refused to run until I took
out the adapter.  (There's a flaw in the RT diagnostics -- they assume at
most one thing is wrong and stop when they find it.)

--
    John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)

tim@cs.wisc.edu (Tim Theisen) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.015235.23309@athena.mit.edu>, jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:
|> We use the AED displays with 6155 adapters.  A minor hardware change had to
|> be made to make this work; I don't know what it was (new cables?).

I have directions to modify an AED display to work with an IBM 6155 card.
It does not require any special tools and uses off the shelf parts.  The
estimated cost is $150.00.

In article <Qc9Qlby00UhBA4SG9F@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) writes:
|> I plan on using it on my PC (I know that it is not a multi-sync, and that
|> it will not work in normal resolutions, i.e. 640x480. ).  I am
|> confident that I can convert the video to a usable state.  I need
|> to know a few things though.

|> 4)  The input connector wiring diagram (I can figure this out, but I'll
|> waste time doing it.)

According to the directions mentioned previously.  The pins are named as follows:

Pin   Name
 4    Vertical Sync
 8    Vertical Sync Return
 3    Horizontal Sync
 7    Horizontal Sync Return
 1    Video
 6    Video Return

--
          Tim Theisen           Systems Programmer
Internet: tim@cs.wisc.edu       Department of Computer Sciences