[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] compilers for ACIS 4.3

seeger@cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (04/18/91)

I was contacted by mail today about distributing the updated compilers for
the Dec 88 release of ACIS 4.3, the 4.3BSD port for IBM RTs.  (I maintain
the anonymous ftp site for patches to this OS on bikini.cis.ufl.edu.)

The correspondent does not have uucp access, and the IBM folks in his
country are not able to produce the updates because it is no longer a
supported product.  He did not obtain them earlier because they have only
recently switched from AIX on these machines.

Questions for anyone in the know:
	1) Is the uucp site still running?
	2) If so, is it permissible to do a third party transaction, i.e.
	   download the software and send it to someone else?
	3) May I make the compilers available for anon-ftp?  Who do I need
	   to obtain permission from?
	4) Does anyone have an email address for a contact at IBM or Metaware
	   that might be able to help with this issue?
	5) Does anyone know the latest about gcc on the RTs?

Eric Brunner once expressed relief that we hadn't put the compilers up for
ftp, so I really hesitate to do this with official sanction.  (Eric, if
you are out there, "Hi, thanks for everything.")

TIA,
Chuck
--
  Charles Seeger    E301 CSE Building             Office: +1 904 392 1508
  CIS Department    University of Florida         Fax:    +1 904 392 1220

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (04/19/91)

An IBM person once mentioned in this group that the compilers could not be
made available for anonymous ftp (by IBM or anyone else) because that would
violate an agreement with Metaware.

The gcc situation is still the same: when gcc v2 is released it will work on
the RT.  If you want to know when that will be, ask rms (he may not know
either).  Until then, use hc.

--
    John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)

webb@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) (04/24/91)

In article <28068@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, seeger@cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) writes:
|> Questions for anyone in the know:
|> 	1) Is the uucp site still running?
|> 	2) If so, is it permissible to do a third party transaction, i.e.
|> 	   download the software and send it to someone else?
|> 	3) May I make the compilers available for anon-ftp?  Who do I need
|> 	   to obtain permission from?
|> 	4) Does anyone have an email address for a contact at IBM or Metaware
|> 	   that might be able to help with this issue?
|> 	5) Does anyone know the latest about gcc on the RTs?
|> --
|>   Charles Seeger    E301 CSE Building             Office: +1 904 392 1508

I've passed your questions on to Phil Sherin here at IBM and this
is his reply:

Answers to questions posed above:
  1) The uucp site is no longer running.
  2) Third party transactions are not permitted under license.
  3) The compilers are proprietary, licensed products. They may not be
     redistributed to any third party. Any party wishing to make copies
     could probably contact:
         Mr. Frank DeRemer
         MetaWare Corporation
         2161 Delaware St.
         Santa Cruz,  CA  95060      Tel: (408) 429-6382
     for terms and conditions that might be available to distribute.
  4) see above for MetaWare, for IBM contact:
	Phil Sherin
	IBM, Personal Systems Programming
	1510 Page Mill Road - MS35A
        Palo Alto, CA 94043
     or
	P.O. Box 10050 94043

     Phil's phone number is (415) 855-4424. His EMAIL address is
     sherin@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com, please contact him for further
     information about this topic.

Bill Webb (IBM PSP Palo Alto, Ca.), (415) 855-4457.
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmsupt!webb INTERNET: webb@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com

brunner@practic.UUCP (Thomas Eric Brunner) (04/30/91)

John, I'm probably the person you are referring to w.r.t. ftp'ing compiler
binaries. We went through all the steps and found that for each of the
3rd-party compilers: Metaware's HighC and Professional Pascal, HCR's hf77,
the legal problems were just too great.

I'm looking forward to gcc, as I know a lot of other people are as well.
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Eric Brunner, Consultant

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) (05/10/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt
Subject: Re: RT keyboard on AT-clone

--
   Neal   i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu
 "A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking (meant) for others!"