[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] X11R4 window manager troubles

geoff@pinoko.berkeley.edu (05/22/91)

I recently loaded X11R4 on the RT I use following Michael Brantley's
posting and patches.  The server seems to work fine (up to a point).
Without any .xinitrc, the server starts and a xterm window pops up on the
Megapel display.  However, when I use a .xinitrc file which launches
several terminals and twm (Tab Window Manager), the server bombs.

Has anyone successfully gotten X11R4 to work on an RT?  And if so,
have you gotten any window managers to work?

Thanks for any assistance.

	Geoff Ghose
	School of Optometry	360 Minor Hall
	Univ. of California	Berkeley, CA 94720
	(415) 642-6440		Fax: (415) 642-3323
	NeXT Mail: geoff@pinoko.berkeley.edu

jew@rt.uucp (/87336) (05/23/91)

I am using X11R4 on my RT all the time now, but I do NOT use twm.  It
blows up on my system too.  I either use gwm or run mwm from the
neighborhood rs6000.

jew@sunquest.com

Confucious say...
Courage is your greatest present need.

steve@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Steve DeJarnett) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May21.231451.17714@agate.berkeley.edu> geoff@pinoko.berkeley.edu writes:

>I recently loaded X11R4 on the RT I use following Michael Brantley's
>posting and patches.  The server seems to work fine (up to a point).
>Without any .xinitrc, the server starts and a xterm window pops up on the
>Megapel display.  However, when I use a .xinitrc file which launches
>several terminals and twm (Tab Window Manager), the server bombs.

	First question.  Are you running AIX or ACIS/AOS 4.3??  If you're
running 4.3, then I'm not sure why you're having problems.  We run R4+twm here
all the time, and everything seems to work fine.

>Has anyone successfully gotten X11R4 to work on an RT?  And if so,
>have you gotten any window managers to work?

	We have people running mwm, twm, tvtwm, and uwm regularly.  I'm not
aware of any major problems with any of them.

	If you're running AIX, well, maybe someone else in the audience has
been through this and can help.

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: steve@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
IBM PSP Palo Alto		UUCP:	  uunet!ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com!steve
(415) 855-3510			IBM VNET: dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......

muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) (05/24/91)

steve@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Steve DeJarnett) writes:

>	If you're running AIX, well, maybe someone else in the audience has
>been through this and can help.

We have been running AIX (but switched to AOS, a relief!) and never got
any windowmanagers to run either. There is no X11R4 server, I guess you
still use the R3 server. It also did not work when the wm ran on another
host with -display aix-system:0.
You'd better give it up.

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl

knobbe@locus.com (Roger Knobbe) (05/27/91)

steve@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Steve DeJarnett) writes:

>In article <1991May21.231451.17714@agate.berkeley.edu> geoff@pinoko.berkeley.edu writes:
>>
>>I recently loaded X11R4 on the RT I use following Michael Brantley's
>>posting and patches.  The server seems to work fine (up to a point).
>>Without any .xinitrc, the server starts and a xterm window pops up on the
>>Megapel display.  However, when I use a .xinitrc file which launches
>>several terminals and twm (Tab Window Manager), the server bombs.

>>Has anyone successfully gotten X11R4 to work on an RT?  And if so,
>>have you gotten any window managers to work?

>	If you're running AIX, well, maybe someone else in the audience has
>been through this and can help.

I am running X11R4 pl18, server and all, on an RT with AIX 2.2.1 and
have had no significant problems.  Twm will occasionally memory fault
when a remote client has problems, but I have never had a server die.

Let me know if you want the diffs that I made to get it running.

--
		    "Chance favors the prepared mind."