[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] format on rs6000

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (06/21/91)

Has anyone been able to format a disk on the RS6000 boxes (
specifically the model 540 )?

Is there a way to format while not booted off floppy ( diagnostics )?

We have had problems formatting normal scsi drives on the IBM, and the
support people have not been of much help.

Also, we have several elite drives ( which work great by the way ).
Unfortunately, one of the drives failed ( trying to relocate a bad
block ).

ANY help or info would be of great assistance.

Thanks,

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

rich@kunikpok.uucp (Richard Hasting) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.134118.960@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
>Has anyone been able to format a disk on the RS6000 boxes (
>specifically the model 540 )?
>
>Is there a way to format while not booted off floppy ( diagnostics )?

 No, there isn't.

>We have had problems formatting normal scsi drives on the IBM, and the
>support people have not been of much help.

What kind of scsi drives?  There are some scsi drives out there that
have some problems that were "uncovered" when the 3003 CS update
came out.  If you are having to define the drive as an "OTHER SCSI"
then you might need a new driver for your drive to work.  I don't
remember precisely what the APAR is, but the device driver is
available from Austin Support.

>Thanks,

You're welcome.

>--
>Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
>Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022
>Phone:     (407) 729-5059              Melbourne, FL  32901
--
       Richard Hasting, Austin TX.
       rich@kunikpok.uucp; ... !cs.utexas.edu!icus.com!kunikpok!rich

kunikpok.uucp won't work for a while, use the other address for now.