[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] more non-resident PC/IP

ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (John Romkey) (10/27/87)

You know, I've just realised that there are other non-PC/IP-derived
TCP's for the PC that don't stay loaded in memory. I think that
Beame & Whiteside's commercial version also gets everything out of
memory when it's finished, and that Phil Karn's KAQ9, NCSA Telnet and
...oops. I spaced on it. I think there's another one I left out.

For the sake of completeness, the ones that do stay resident are the
Excelan EXOS 205, the Ungermann-Bass NIU, the Micom-Interlan NP600,
and a package from CMC whose name I can't remember (those are all
smart cards which use up a little bit of main memory); Network
Research Corporation's FUSION; and Sun's PC/NFS.

I don't think any of these implementations are related to PC/IP,
though most of them are probably descendants of the 4.2BSD Unix TCP.

That's a *lot* of different TCP's you can get. Does anyone keep track
of them all?
					- john
-------

nelson@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Russell Nelson) (10/27/87)

>That's a *lot* of different TCP's you can get. Does anyone keep track
>of them all?
There's tcp-vendors-guide from sri-nic.arpa.  I have abstracted the IBM-PC
entries, and will post them if there's any interest at all.  However, the
information is only as accurate as it's contributed, and FTP Software's
entry is out of date, for example.
-russ

ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (John Romkey) (10/28/87)

> There's tcp-vendors-guide from sri-nic.arpa.  I have abstracted the IBM-PC
> entries, and will post them if there's any interest at all.  However, the
> information is only as accurate as it's contributed, and FTP Software's
> entry is out of date, for example.
> -russ

Oops, blush, embarassment. Yes, our entry is a bit out of date.

I know about the Vendor's Guide, but I think there are a fair number
of entries missing from it these days. At least, I know of a bunch of
companies selling TCP for the PC that don't list...some just don't
know about it.
					- john
-------

karn@faline.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (10/29/87)

> Beame & Whiteside's commercial version also gets everything out of
> memory when it's finished, and that Phil Karn's KAQ9, NCSA Telnet and
> ...oops. I spaced on it. I think there's another one I left out.

That's "KA9Q", not "KAQ9". "KA9Q" is my amateur radio callsign. I wrote
the package specifically to bring TCP/IP to the ham packet radio masses.

My package runs as a user program under MS-DOS. It hooks into a few of
the PC hardware interrupt vectors, so the drivers are also part of the
program.  There's little alternative, since I consider MS-DOS (much like
its predecessor, CP/M) to be little more than a glorified bootstrap
loader.  If you want multitasking (or even the cheap imitation of it I
provide) you have to do it yourself.

You can still do other things under DOS by using one of the commercial
utilities like DoubleDos and Microsoft Windows.  You can then load my
package into one partition and run it almost like a "network daemon".

Phil

backman@interlan.UUCP (Larry Backman) (10/29/87)

In article <12345865602.57.ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU> ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (John Romkey) writes:
>You know, I've just realised that there are other non-PC/IP-derived
>TCP's for the PC that don't stay loaded in memory. I think that
>Excelan EXOS 205, the Ungermann-Bass NIU, the Micom-Interlan NP600,

[]

	Sorry John, but we currently do not sell a NP600 TCP/IP for
	DOS.  We sell TCP on top of the NP600 for XENIX, UNIX V5.3,
	and a Novell Netware TCP Gateway.  All versions (and any
	future DOS version) have TCP/IP code resident on the board (which
	has it's own CPU and 512K) and only a driver resident within the
	host operating system.  Our DOS version when it comes out will
	take less than 10K of the PC's RAM for a device driver.

					Larry Backman
					Micom - Interlan

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (11/02/87)

In article <12345865602.57.ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>, ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (John Romkey) writes:
> You know, I've just realised that there are other non-PC/IP-derived
> [...]
> For the sake of completeness, the ones that do stay resident are [...]
> [...] and Sun's PC/NFS.

Almost right: we keep the link level driver plus IP, ICMP, and ARP/RARP
resident, plus a stripped-down UDP and RPC for NFS. All of the rest -
full UDP, TCP, RPC, XDR, YP, etc. - is linked in to applications.

> I don't think any of these implementations are related to PC/IP,
> though most of them are probably descendants of the 4.2BSD Unix TCP.

Some of the TCP is distantly related to PC/IP, but I doubt you'd
recognize it. Does anyone know of ANY recent TCP/IP implementation without
at least a few lines of 4.2BSD in it?

> That's a *lot* of different TCP's you can get. Does anyone keep track
> of them all?
> 					- john

As Russell Nelson pointed out...

> There's tcp-vendors-guide from sri-nic.arpa.

To John's reply of:

> Oops, blush, embarassment. Yes, our entry is a bit out of date.

I must blush an even deeper shade of crimson: I haven't even submitted ours.
Could someone point me at (or mail me) a template, plus an email address
to send it in?

-- Geoff

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems     |"Dive for diamonds, or shoot for hearts,
East Coast Division(home of PC-NFS)| It's all uncertain, but that's the art.