[net.news.group] net.music.jazz and subgroups in general

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (08/18/83)

I should clarify some of my positions on the proliferation of subgroups.

First, though I oppose having subgroups for every subsubtopic of every
area of (sub-)interest, I am not proposing that we submit everything to
net.general!!  There is a valid middle ground.  We need individual
distinctions for topics like tv (television viewers) and video (those
interested in video technology, et al), religion (systems of worship)
and philosophy (systems of non-religious belief), etc.  We need broad
categories like music, movies, unix-*, micro, etc. to distinguish and
clarify to potential readers what we are talking about.  But we don't
need a subgroup for every piddling subtopic that comes along, even if
it has a large (though in the minority) following.

Second, I prefer the concept of keywords to the concept of newsgroups.
Newsgroups tend to polarize and box us in, to pigeonhole our discussion.
Instead of a list of 'groups' that one wants/doesn't want to see, how
about a list of keywords.  Some people might have in their keyword list:
"music !rock".  Thus an article keyworded as "music" would get through
this defensive barrier, but a "music rock" article would not, and these
people would be spared the agony of reading about rock singers biting
the heads off of flying rodents, et al.  (That's the only thing rock fans
talk about, right?  That and drugs. :-) )  A master keyword list (much
like the master newsgroup list) would provide news users with a list of
possible keywords to accept/reject in their .newsrc file.  General usage
would actually define acceptable keywords.  (If I had '!shoes' in my
.newsrc, and no one used that keyword, I wouldn't be rejecting many
articles.)  All the controversy over double posting is reduced to
nothing if an article on how to hook a video recorder to my television
while normally watching something else would have keywords 'tv video' in
it.  Anyone who doesn't care about video technology but watches a lot of
television might have 'tv !video' as part of his/her .newsrc file, and thus
miss this wondrous article.   I digress...

This was simply a restating of my previously espoused and described position
on subgroups.  It's a difficult area where sometimes it's justified and
more often it's not.  'micro' and 'music' are probably good examples where
it's not, while 'sport' and 'sport.baseball' (to me) are good examples where
it is.  Of course 'sport baseball !rollerball' would do the trick...
					Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

fred@umcp-cs.UUCP (08/20/83)

	From: rlr@pyuxn.UUCP

	. . . we don't need a subgroup for every piddling subtopic
	that comes along, even if it has a large (though in the
	minority) following.

Why, may I ask, not? As long as a potential subgroup has the
readership to support it, I see no reason it shouldn't exist just
because its topic is subsumed by some other newsgroup. I prefer
having more newsgroups rather than fewer, so that both news posters
and readers can be more selective in specifying topics.

	I prefer the concept of keywords to the concept of newsgroups.
	. . . Instead of a list of 'groups' that one wants/doesn't
	want to see, how about a list of keywords. . . .  General
	usage would actually define acceptable keywords.

So do I. I'd much prefer the K-news system which was described (I
think in net.news) a few months ago. But we don't have it (yet),
and until we do we're going to have to do the best we can with what
we have, namely subgroups.

(begin flame)
I fail to see what you're annoyed about. If there is a new newsgroup,
you have the freedom to either subscribe or not. How does this
impinge on your freedom? It doesn't force anyone to read more
articles than they would have otherwise, and gives everyone the
option of reading less (Which I feel is desirable considering the
volume of news.).
(end flame)

					Fred Blonder
					harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!fred

alb@alice.UUCP (08/21/83)

I wish people would stop taking the attitude that newsgroups don't
produce any more overhead.  They do!  The more newsgroups you have,
the slower the news programs work, because each has to do a linear
search of the active file to do its job (granted, the process has
been greatly sped up in recent versions.)  Also, each newsgroup has
its own directory, which means i-node and file space used up (this
seems like a small thing, but on machines with small /usr/spool's,
it is certainly not to be overlooked.)  And there *IS* a limit to the
number of groups we can have; this is an indirect limit, as it is
linked to the maximum size of the .newsrc file (once you have as
many lines in .newsrc as you are allowed, you cannot make any new
groups.)

We (using alice's active file) now have 238 newsgroups, and the
number is growing steadily (I remember a couple years ago when
we had only 50 or so groups.)  The software currently allows for
512 (the .newsrc limit).  In a year or two (considering that the
rate of growth is also increasing steadily), we will reach this limit.
Then what?  If we don't start taking steps NOW to control newsgroup
proliferation (what a nastier sound than growth that carries!), we
will soon not have any more room left.  Then, when a group with a real
and true purpose comes along, it won't be able to fit it, because
there will be too many net.micro.atari.battlezone and net.tv.mash.hawkeye
type groups around.

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (08/22/83)

First, my thanks to Adam Buchsbaum for his explanation of the problems with
	the increasing number of newsgroups, many of which fall into the
	category of subgroups to other newsgroups.  Although the reasons Adam
	described were technical in nature (as opposed to the aesthetic (??)
	reasons which I have used in my arguments), they reveal one
	potential problem with the proliferation of subgroups.

Secondly, I'd just like, once more, to clarify what the h I am trying to say.
	My reasons for opposing the subgroup proposals recently put forth
	have to do with the "isolationism" (<--a better word than snobbishness)
	that such subgroups would cause.  To me, one of the beauties of
	the net is that it brings together a wide variety of people with an
	even wider variety of viewpoints and ideas.  The formation of sub-
	groups inhibits the cross-fertilization of ideas that might otherwise
	be present.

SCENARIO:	A reader of net.micro.apple (and apple owner) accidentally
		reads an article in net.micro.cbm.  (QUICK, GET THE
		PARAMEDICS!!!!)  The article says:  "I need a Frazmuco VPX1000
		to connect to my VIC20 ('YEECH!' says the apple-owning reader)
		in order to process my Hoozawatson input."  The reader
		mumbles:  "What a stupid way to get Hoozawatson input...
		Hey, wait, the apple comes with a Crelmo IDU [internal drelb
		unit], which is compatible with the Frazmuco VPX1000.  Maybe
		if I tell the author that Crelmo IDU's are available as a
		replacement part from Apple-authorized dealers, then maybe the
		author can tell me how to decode Hoozawatson input with one..."

				Rich Rosen   pyuxn!rlr