[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ARCnet drivers...

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (11/08/87)

    Date: 7 Nov 87 9:10:36 EST
    From: mike%development.watstar.waterloo.edu@relay.cs.net

    If anyone has a sample driver for a ARCnet card I would be willing to make
    a KA9Q and a PCIP (MIT) driver from it.  Anyone got one out there??

Just started working on one today.  Will let you know how it goes.  I plan
to do the PCIP one first, then port it to KA9Q.  I have no experience
with the latter, so it seemed wiser to let that one wait.

Anyone got any ideas about how to deal with the less than sane issue of
messages too long to be `normal' and too short to be `extended' (254-256
bytes)?  Kind of damaged, but...

Also, decides not to implement ARP (immediately).  Figured it would work if
the last byte of the IP address matched the node ID, like on a ProNet...
Any problems with this?

Suggestions, etc. all welcome...

-Philip

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) (11/13/87)

In article <281356.871107.PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>, PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") writes:
> Anyone got any ideas about how to deal with the less than sane issue of
> messages too long to be `normal' and too short to be `extended' (254-256
> bytes)?  Kind of damaged, but...

Are you referring to IP fragmentation/reassmbly issues, or what?

--
FullName:	Dennis Bednar
UUCP:		{uunet|sundc}!rlgvax!dennis