[net.micro] Proposed group net.micro.defunct

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (02/08/85)

     How about a group net.micro.defunct for owners of those golden oldies
like the Coleco Adam, the National Semiconductor Pace, the Victor 9000, and
the Osborne I, all of which have come up here recently.
     The moderator for this group should be an Altair owner.

hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) (02/11/85)

In article <264@wdl1.UUCP> jbn@wdl1.UUCP writes:

>     How about a group net.micro.defunct for owners of those golden oldies
>like the Coleco Adam, the National Semiconductor Pace, the Victor 9000, and
>the Osborne I, all of which have come up here recently.
>     The moderator for this group should be an Altair owner.

I second this.  I have a Nabu 1600 (defunct), a "four user"
8086 system.  On it I have two Volker-Craig 2100 terminals (defunct).
I have a Kaypro II (not yet defunct, but there are rumours).
Oh yes: I have an Altair 8800 (defunct) too.  Does any hardware vendor
want to bribe me NOT to buy their machine???

geller@rlgvax.UUCP (David Geller) (02/11/85)

>      How about a group net.micro.defunct for owners of those golden oldies
> like the Coleco Adam, the National Semiconductor Pace, the Victor 9000, and
> the Osborne I, all of which have come up here recently.
>      The moderator for this group should be an Altair owner.

Sorry. The Victor 9000 is still be manufactured and sold. Victor is just
now coming out of Chapter 11 and things look bright...

vince@mplvax.UUCP (Vince Pavlicek) (02/12/85)

Sender:Vince Pavlicek

In article <264@wdl1.UUCP> jbn@wdl1.UUCP writes:

>     How about a group net.micro.defunct for owners of those golden oldies
>like the Coleco Adam, the National Semiconductor Pace, the Victor 9000, and
>the Osborne I, all of which have come up here recently.
>     The moderator for this group should be an Altair owner.

	As an Altiar owner (original MITS 8080) and user (it works MOST of the
time) I should be offended but I know better. (Wanna buy a used Altair?).
Are there many more of these still in existance out there in Netland or do
I have a real antique on my hands? 8-).
	If anyone replys I may post a summary.
	Please no 'but what can it do?' messages. (It can't)

		vince pavlicek
	ucsd - marine physical lab
	...!sdcsvax!sdcc3!mplvax!vince

allen@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/16/85)

   I have an Altair also.  It is a much more useful machine than
many of these newer slick plastic boxes.  Last summer I couldn't get
motorcycle to start.  I hooked the battery up to the power supply
along with a small resistor and the next morning it was as good as
new.  You couldn't do that with an IBM PC...

bcase@uiucdcs.UUCP (02/18/85)

I also have an Altair 8800, but it is no longer functioning.  I am
keeping it as a museum piece.  I canabalized the 1K by 8 RAM board
(never contained more than 256 by 8) but the CPU board is still in
working order (I think...).  I learned a heck of a lot from that
good old machine.  How many others of you had all the 8080 opcodes
memorized and could amaze people by composing and entering programs
on the fly?  Ok, ok, I guess we shouldn't be starting one of those
long discussions about good old days, but:  Sigh, those were the
days....

    I still love a front panel and some flashing lights....

    bcase

allen@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/19/85)

   The front panel is pretty, but if you ever had to use one to enter
code you would learn to appreciate a blank plastic front.