[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] beginners guide to ... ?

mike@bnr-vpa.UUCP (11/20/87)

This might sound like a dumb question, but can anyone out there
recommend a textbook/series of articles/etc that describe simply
just what tcp/ip is (other than the usual intro. "TCP/IP is a series
of protocols that the Department of Defense created ...")
Andrew Tanenbaum's "Computer Networks" barely references it, and
Mischa Schwartz's "Telecommunication Networks/ Protocols, Modeling and
Analysis" has maybe 5 pages on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Norman (bnr-vpa!mike)		Phone:	(613) 726-7717
Bell-Northern Research			Usenet: {utzoo, utgpu}!bnr-vpa!mike
P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

fossum@uwpvacs.UUCP (Timothy Fossum) (11/22/87)

>This might sound like a dumb question, but can anyone out there
>recommend a textbook/series of articles/etc that describe simply
>just what tcp/ip is (other than the usual intro. "TCP/IP is a series
>of protocols that the Department of Defense created ...")
>Andrew Tanenbaum's "Computer Networks" barely references it, and
>Mischa Schwartz's "Telecommunication Networks/ Protocols, Modeling and
>Analysis" has maybe 5 pages on the subject.

Doug Comer's book "Operating Systems Design, Internetworking with Xinu",
describes the IP part of TCP/IP, and goes into some detail about UDP
as well.  There must be someone else who can give you information about the
details of TCP.

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (11/24/87)

No references for you - but I could probably spare a bit of time on the
phone if you have questions.

Rob Hagens
UW Madison Computer Science Dept.

andrews@hpsal2.HP.COM (Edward E. Andrews) (11/24/87)

Charles L. Hedrick wrote an article about Internet protocols in July and
posted it on the net.  A copy of that would be a good beginner's guide.

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (11/25/87)

Anyone remember where "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Internet"
is kept?  This might be handy for Mike...

-Philip

bae@lll-aftac.arpa (Hwa Jin Bae) (11/25/87)

Charles Hedrick of Rutgers has written a "Introduction to TCP/IP"
which I thought was a very good overview of the Internet.

You can probably ftp it from "topaz.rutgers.edu".
Hwa Jin Bae                  (415) 463-6865
Control Data Corporation     bae@{lll-tis.arpa,lll-aftac.arpa}    (Internet)
4234 Hacienda Drive          {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!plseca!hbae (UUCP)
Pleasanton, CA 94566         **** CDC is not responsible for my opinion ***

BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET.UUCP (11/27/87)

Try "The Elements of Networking Style", by M. A. Padlipsky. This book
may drive you nuts with its expositional style, but the ideas are no-nonsense,
even if highly opinionated. The publisher is Prentice-Hall.

Cheers, B. Becker       Humber College     Etobicoke, Ont.

> Doug Comer's book "Operating Systems Design, Internetworking with Xinu",
> describes the IP part of TCP/IP...

Well, no, actually Comer's book describes a subset of IP, leaving out some
fairly important things.  As of a few months ago when I asked the tcp-ip
mailing list about this, nobody was aware of any single book that gives a
thorough tutorial discussion that includes the fine points.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry