[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] microchannel hardware/software

jb@TWG.ARPA (John Bartas) (12/24/87)

Mike,

Here at wollongong we are working on a driver for the 3Com
Microchannel card. We will be looking for Beta test sites
shortly.

One feature of our product which may be usefull to you is the way
that our hardware drivers are selected, loaded, and unloaded.
This is done dynamiclly by the network applications at run time
as opposed to requiring drivers to be loaded up at boot time or
linked into the .exe file. This allows the user to change devices
without rebooting the PC or use multiple devices at once. It also
greatly simplifies supporting new devices. If you are interested
in this contact our Product Marketing Manager, Sue Trombetta
(415) 962-7100 or mail to sue@twg.arpa.
------------------------------
John Bartas
Project Leader
The Wollongong Group.

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (12/31/87)

In article <8712232018.aa06604@Louie.UDEL.EDU>, jb@TWG.ARPA (John Bartas) writes:
> Mike,
> Here at wollongong we are working on a driver for the 3Com
> Microchannel card. We will be looking for Beta test sites
> shortly.
[promotional material deleted]
> John Bartas
> Project Leader
> The Wollongong Group.

[FLAME ON]
Is this kind of posting really kosher? I don't mind getting involved with
discussions about products, but using a newsgroup to solicit beta
test sites for a commercial product? Where I come from, we pay people
in Customer Service to plan and manage beta testing. mod.newprod is the
place for new product announcements, which have to meet fairly stringent
requirements (at least in theory.....)
[FLAME OFF]

Just to get a reasonable discussion going, can your scheme
handle multiple coresident network applications in the PC?
I've been seeing lots of interest in being able to write
networking TSR's for printing, mail, remote control, etc.
Can a TWG application hook up with an existing resident copy
of the driver it wants?
--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems     | "What is appropriate for the master is not
SPD at ECD (home of PC-NFS)        | appropriate for the novice. You must

OWENSJ@VTVM1.BITNET (John Owens) (01/01/88)

>Is this kind of posting really kosher? I don't mind getting involved with
>discussions about products, but using a newsgroup to solicit beta
>test sites for a commercial product? Where I come from, we pay people
>in Customer Service to plan and manage beta testing.
Besides the fact that this newsgroup is one of the best places to find
beta testers, don't forget that beta tests benefit the testers too, and
many of us are quite interested in hearing the latest developments,
straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  Isn't that the advantage
of electronic media, after all?

>mod.newprod is the
>place for new product announcements, which have to meet fairly stringent
>requirements (at least in theory.....)
First, this wasn't a new product announcement.  Second, this isn't just
a USENET group; quite a few people (like me) get this as a mailing list,
and have no way of reading mod.newprod (which isn't even the name anymore
- all the mod groups were renamed months ago).

In other words, let's be a bit more tolerant.  (If he had advertised
a product for sale, that would be another matter, but I feel that
the message was quite appropriate for a group of technical people
interested in TCP/IP on PC's....)

        Happy New Year,

        -John Owens                     +1 703 961 7827
        Virginia Tech   Communications Network Services
        OWENSJ@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU      OWENSJ@VTVM1.BITNET