[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] New Release of KA9Q TCP/IP Package

bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) (12/28/87)

            *** This is the one you've been waiting for! ***
                       *** MERRY CHRISTMAS !! ***

Announcing an update to the KA9Q TCP/IP software package release of 870829.0,
bringing the current release date up to 871225.0.  This update is a *MAJOR
LEAGUE* revision.  If you're running 870829 or earlier, update *now*.

The changes:

There have been so many dramatic changes that I am going to dispense with my
normal level of detail and just hit the high spots.  You've got to use it to
believe it!

	- Parameters to the param command are now in DECIMAL, *not* HEX.
	  Make sure you update your AUTOEXEC.NET files!

	- I HAVE MOVED!  *PLEASE* make sure you read the new phone numbers
	  listed below, and update any dialer scripts as required...

	- a fix to the TNC-1 KISS from Marc Kaufman.

	- complete support for AX.25 level 2 connected mode, including both
	  the ability to have level 2 connections as a session type, and the
	  ability to push IP datagrams across connected-mode links.  This
	  portion of the package is based on work done by Jon Bloom, KE3Z,
	  hacked wildly by Phil KA9Q.  Yes, this means you can run KISS TNC
	  24 hrs/day, and still talk to your local PBBS!

	- support for the Mac and Amiga by Mikel Matthews.  The binaries
	  are provided uuencoded for the Amiga, and in BinHex format for the
	  Mac.  The binaries are slightly out of sync with the sources, and
	  sport a different version number.  They'll do for now though...
	  until we re-sync with Mikel, you're on your own with the sources.

	- support for System 5 Unix by Jere Sandidge

	- major enhancements to the SMTP modules and the BM mail user
	  interface by Dave Trulli, NN2Z.

	- a newly integrated, all-in-one manual by yours truly, based heavily
	  on the previously available documents, but with considerable updating
	  and integration.  This one's still a preliminary, comments and
	  criticisms are welcome...

	- the ability to record Telnet and AX.25 connected mode sessions in
	  a file.

	- the ability to do an ASCII text "upload" of a file to a Telnet or
	  AX.25 session.

	- considerable modification of the command interpreter.  You'll need
	  to study the sample configuration files supplied, and update
	  accordingly.

	- an update to the PBBS/SMTP gateway software by WA3PXX.  This has
	  *not* been tested with the latest BM, but we don't *think* there
	  will be any problems.  Let us know if there are!

	- a driver for the Eagle I/O card based on the Zilog 8530.

	- other things I've surely forgotten...

Things that are on the burners:

	- a driver for the PC-100 card from PacComm
	- improvement of the new user manual

What to do once you have software, aka "getting an IP address":

	Users of this software package become part of the "global IP
	internet", and as such need to obtain unique IP address assignments
	for each host they plan to put on the air, or "on the wire".  Major
	metropolitan areas in the US, and countries with active TCP-using
	groups probably already have blocks of addresses in amateur radio
	44.X.X.X block assigned to them.  Ask around locally before you go
	any further.

	If there is no local address block in your area, and/or noone is
	coordinating address assignments for your local net, contact Wally
	Linstruth WA6JPR.  Wally is the global top-level address administrator
	for the ham radio 44.X.X.X subnet.  Wally may be reached by email at

		wally%net1.ucsd.edu@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	or	wally@net1.ucsd.edu
	or	...!sdcsvax!net1!wally

	or via the new forwarding mechanism I have set up for those sites who
	know how to reply via mail to this message, but can't reach Wally's
	machine directly:

		winfree!wally   -or-   wally@winfree.uucp
	or	wally%winfree.uucp@flash.bellcore.com

How to obtain the KA9Q Internet software:

-	Direct UUCP connection to winfree is available to those who request
	it for polling to get new versions.  Inquire via mail to one of the
	addresses below.  Anonymous uucp is available.  The phone number is
	303/495-0492, 300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hrs/day.  A typical L.sys entry
	might be

		winfree Any ACU 2400 13034950492 ogin: Uanon word: notFTP

	Start by grabbing the file /usr/spool/uucppublic/pub/README, which
	contains info about what is available.  A possible uucp command
	ala BSD might be:

		uucp winfree!~/pub/README /usr/spool/uucppublic

-	Via Opus, log in to my BBS and download from the appropriate files
	area.  There are several .ARC files for the full distribution, one
	for each of the directories.

	I have configured my BBS to allow first time users ample resources to
	download the full distribtuion at 1200 baud.  The phone number is
	303/495-2061.

	If you have any trouble downloading from the BBS, please let me know.
	Speeds that are supported include 300, 1200, and 2400.

-	TAPR, the Tucson Amateur Packet Radio association, has agreed to make
	copies of the software available on PC floppies.  They can also
	provide programmed EPROM parts for the TNC-1 and TNC-2 that include
	the KISS protocol software.

	       TAPR
	       Box 22888
	       Tucson, AZ  85734
	       USA
	       (602) 746-1166

        DISKETTES: All diskette software is IBM PC DOS 2.0 or later
        format, on 5 1/4" diskettes. Please send a return mailer with
        postage and $2 for copying. If you desire TAPR to provide the
        diskettes, the charge is $1 for mailer and postage, then add
        $0.75 per diskette

        o TCP/IP (KA9Q)                 (3 diskettes)
        o Intro to TCP/IP               (2 diskettes)
        o TNC 1 Source Code             (1 diskette)

        EPROMS: We will program your EPROM(s) for $2 per TNC-worth
        plus a prepaid return mailer. If you choose to buy EPROMS
        from TAPR, we will include the mailer and postage in the
        purchase price of the blank EPROM.

        TNC2 release 1.1.4 requires 32k RAM in your TNC2. If you
        haven't already upgraded, 32k RAM chips are available from
        TAPR for $20 postpaid. Current blank EPROM prices are $10 for
        27C256 and $5 for 2764 (may be 27C64, depends on
        availability).

        TNC2 1.1.4 includes documentation.

        o TNC 1 KISS                    (2764)
        o TNC 2 KISS                    (27C256)
        o TNC 2 1.1.4 w/loader          (27C256)
        o TNC 2 1.1.4 w/kiss            (27C256)

        (I suggest that foreign shipping addressees include sufficient
        postage to assure airmail delivery, if you don't know the rates
        add about $1 per disk or EPROM).

	*** late breaking news:  TAPR is now shipping 1.1.5!  No other info
	    is available.  Substitute 1.1.5 everywhere you see 1.1.4 in this
	    section?

-	On the Internet:  The bits will show up in a few days on SIMTEL20.ARPA
	in the directory PD:<MSDOS.PACKET>.  Watch for a further announcement
	when we can get the bits updated there.

	Unreleased (read: under development) versions are often available
	on louie.udel.edu in the pub/ka9q directory, caveat emptor...

If anyone has any trouble getting hold of a copy of the code, please let me
know!

How to contact me:

	Bdale Garbee, N3EUA
	4390 Darr Circle
	Colorado Springs, CO  80908
	303/590-2868w, 303/495-0091h

uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,pitt}!winfree!bdale
arpa: bdale@net1.ucsd.edu
fido: Bdale Garbee at 128/19, 303/495-2061, 300/1200/2400 baud, 24hrs
packet: n3eua @ k0hoa
--
Bdale Garbee, N3EUA			phone: 303/495-0091 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,ncc,pitt,usafa}!winfree!bdale

ishida@oucom2.oucom.osaka-u.junet (Akira Ishida) (01/06/88)

In article <104@winfree.UUCP>, bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) writes:

>             *** This is the one you've been waiting for! ***
>                        *** MERRY CHRISTMAS !! ***
>
> Announcing an update to the KA9Q TCP/IP software package release of 870829.0,
> bringing the current release date up to 871225.0.  This update is a *MAJOR
> LEAGUE* revision.  If you're running 870829 or earlier, update *now*.

May I forward this article to PBBS in JA?

To all OMs;
      If you allow me to forward your articles to PBBS in JA,
please add the permission message of forwarding. Thank you.

Caution: Don't send me reply-mail,please. I can't still
         receive a mail from overseas.

Akira Ishida          JG3RTQ @ JR3WDK

TS0258@OHSTVMA.BITNET (01/08/88)

Its on the list to evaluate, but is in limbo due to Bill's departure, and
other high priority projects.

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (01/09/88)

The new release of the KA9Q TCP/IP packet is available via standard
anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.  If you cannot get it with FTP (preferred
method) you may be able to use a new archive server to get it via
netmail.

[Note: In the following discussion, if you are not on BITNET
substitute the address LISTSERV@CICGE.RPI.EDU for the address shown.]

            Help information for the PDGET command

     Selected portions of the SIMTEL20 public domain software archives
are available via a file server at RPICICGE.BITNET.  At present the
collections include the following directories:

     PD1:<CPM.*>     -- The Info-CPM archive (CP/M machines)
     PD1:<SIGM.*>    -- The SIG/M User Group archive (CP/M machines)
     PD1:<MISC.*>    -- The Miscellaneous archives
     PD1:<MSDOS.*>   -- The IBM-PC/MSDOS archives
     PD1:<PC-BLUE.*> -- The PC-Blue User Group archive (MSDOS machines)
Planned:
     PD:<CPMUG.*>   -- The CP/M User Group archive.

Any of the files in these collections are available from the file
server LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET.  The server responds to two commands.
/PDDIR requests a directory listing of files available in an archive,
and /PDGET requests a file from an archive.  The file server accepts
commands in both interactive messages or RFC822-style mail.  (On
VM and MVS Bitnet hosts, TELL LISTSERV AT RPICICGE... can be used to
send an interactive message.  Other Bitnet systems may have similar
facilities.  People on non-Bitnet systems must use the mail interface,
and must insure that the From: header represents a valid return path.)

****Note:  The server actually responds to many, many other commands,
           but none of them have anything to do with the archives.

The two commands have the following form:

      /PDGET  <format>  simtel.filename  < ( encoding >
      /PDDIR  simtel.pattern

The <...> mark things that are optional.

* "simtel.filename" specifies the name of a file to be delivered to the
    user.  Names are usually of the form "PD:<dir.subdir>name.type"

* "simtel.pattern" specifies a search pattern used in generating a
    directory listing.  The form of the pattern is like the filename
    mentioned above, but asterisks (*) may be used freely in the
    subdir, name, and type parts as wild cards (but not in the dir field.)

* "format" specifies the method of transmission to be used:

    NETDATA  -- suitable for transfer to Bitnet hosts that can accept
                files in IBM Netdata format.
    PUNCH    -- suitable for transfer to Bitnet hosts that can accept
                files but cannot decode the Netdata format.  Files
                are sent as 80-byte card-images.
    MAIL     -- suitable for transfer to hosts that can accept only
                mail or are accessible to Bitnet only through gateways.
                Large files sent via mail are split into several
                smaller files that the recipient must reassemble.
    If the format is omitted, NETDATA is assumed for Bitnet hosts
    and MAIL for all others.

* "encoding" specifies any special encoding of the file data:

    ASIS     -- suitable for hosts that can receive binary data.  The
                file is sent exactly as it is stored on my system:
                CP/M sector images, binary mostly.  ASIS may be used
                only with format NETDATA.
    UUENCODE -- suitable for hosts that cannot receive binary data.
                The file is sent uuencoded.
    TRANSLATE -- suitable for any host, but only when the file actually
                represents readable text.  The file is translated into
                character data format.
    If the encoding is omitted, files are sent ASIS if the transmission
    format is NETDATA, and UUENCODEd otherwise.

/PDDIR Examples:
================
(1)  The user is looking for the ARC programs.
            /PDDIR  PD:<MSDOS.*>ARC*.*

(2)  The user wants a listing of the full MSDOS collection.
            /PDDIR  PD:<MSDOS>

/PDGET Examples:
================
In each of the following examples the user wants the -FILES.DOC file to
examine on his host and the PKX35A35.EXE file to download to his micro,
both from the MSDOS collection.  Note that none of the examples have a
closing parenthesis!

(1)  The user is on an IBM host directly connected to Bitnet:
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE

(2)  The user is on a non-IBM host directly connected to Bitnet and can
     receive Netdata files:
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE

(3)  The user is on a non-IBM host directly connected to Bitnet and can
     receive punch files:
           /PDGET  PUNCH  PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  PUNCH  PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE

(4)  The user is on some host somewhere:
           /PDGET  MAIL  PD:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  MAIL  PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA