[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Telnet w/Async Comm Pgms

SIMXT@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Lew Shepherdson) (01/09/88)

Does anyone know of any implementations of TELNET that will simply
intercept BIOS calls to do async I/O on the PC, and redirect them
over the TELNET connection?

Only program I know like that puts the hardware commport into 'loopback'
and then takes the input (which was just output by the PC comm pgm)
and send that over the TELNET connection. (Ingenious!)  Even better
they emulate a Hayes modem, supporting  'ATDT <hostname>' to define
the other end for the TELNET connection.  Unfortunately this package
only supports limited hardware (3C501?) on the TELNET + TCP/IP side,
so I'm looking for other possibilities.

Also, does anyone have KA9Q, CMU, NCSA software available on BITNET?

Lew Shepherdson
SIMXT@UOTTAWA.BITNET

jbvb@ftp.UUCP (James Van Bokkelen) (01/10/88)

If you already know about Beame & Whiteside's telnet that intercepts the
serial BIOS calls, then you know of everything I know of.  Our own doesn't
do it.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software

GFoster@A.ISI.EDU (Glen Foster) (01/11/88)

Please tell me the name of the program you mentioned in the PCIP group
that redirects comm port output to a telnet connection on a 3C501 card.

Thanks,
Glen Foster
-------

BEAME@MCMASTER.BITNET (01/12/88)

Glen Foster <GFoster@a.isi.edu> writes :

>Please tell me the name of the program you mentioned in the PCIP group
>that redirects comm port output to a telnet connection on a 3C501 card.

The program is BWCOM from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.

Their address is:

Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.
259 Fiddler's Green Rd.
Ancaster, Ontario