[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Telnet w/async modems

BEAME@MCMASTER.BITNET (01/13/88)

snorthc@nswc-oas.arpa writes:

>The first case of an asynch program controlling telnet sessions on a
>3c500 board that I ever heard of was Bridge's TCPterm and etherterm
>programs.
>It seems to be a common capability for the 'NetBIOS' boards, UB,
>Bridge both allow this.

 I should point out that the above mentioned products ONLY work for
terminal emulators that use INT 14H as means of accessing the RS232 port.

99% of all serial terminal emulators written for the IBM PC directly
address the 8250 (16450) Uart chip. This is because INT 14H does not
provide interrupt driven access and thus can only support baud rates below
2400.

If you have a terminal emulator that supports 9600 baud the chances are
that it will not run with any of the above mentioned programs.

I only know of one program that can handle emulators which directly address
the Uart chip. BWCOM from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. loops back the
8250 chip and pass the information to the network via TELNET. It emulates a
Hayes modem interface to the terminal emulator.

         - Carl Beame

P.S: I have the Bridge NetBios board and I've checked it out.

snorthc@NSWC-OAS.ARPA (01/14/88)

Carl Beame,

Are you saying you tried your Bridge NetBIOS board with a INT 14h
capable terminal emulation package and it didn't work?

Anyway, there are other Terminal Emulation packages that you
could try.  Kermit 2.29c, available from cu20b.columbia.edu supports
a 'net' interface.  The price is certainly right and I plan to test
this next week as an alternative to PCSVT, Bridge's varient of
Etherterm for TCP and the PCS1(PCSVT cost $100).
According to my UB salesman, there is a special INT 14 version of
Crosstalk, according to Computerland that isn't so.

Stephen Northcutt