[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Using SLIP w/dial-out modems

jbvb@ftp.UUCP (James Van Bokkelen) (01/10/88)

I forgot to mention that the way we told the Telebit to dial was with a
standard asynch communications program, whatever was on the machine.  Then,
we told it to exit, but leave the modem connection up, and there we were.
I assume this would work with KA9Q (I guess it already includes a SLIP driver?)

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software.

WALT@MAINE.BITNET (Walter G. Horbert) (01/20/88)

>I forgot to mention that the way we told the Telebit to dial was with a
>standard asynch communications program, whatever was on the machine.  Then,
>we told it to exit, but leave the modem connection up, and there we were.
>I assume this would work with KA9Q (I guess it already includes a SLIP driver?
>
>James VanBokkelen
>FTP Software.

Yep, this works fine and I have done it with two PC clones over a 2400
baud switched phone connection.  Actually had two FTP sessions and a
Telnet session going all at the same time.  Now if only the KA9Q soft-
ware would talk to my NI5210 card....  (hint, hint).

                                  Walter G. Horbert (Walt@Maine.Bitnet)
                                  University of Maine System
                                  Computing And Data Processing Services
                                  Orono, Maine  04469

karn@faline.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (01/22/88)

> Now if only the KA9Q soft-
> ware would talk to my NI5210 card....  (hint, hint).

Now if only people using my software (mostly for free) would remember
that I wrote it on my own time and with my own facilities primarily for
amateur packet radio use, and that by giving out source code (even
though it's copyrighted) I probably sacrificed the kind of royalties
that could have purchased all this nifty network hardware people want me
to support, again for free... :-)

Phil Karn, KA9Q

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (01/28/88)

In article <1726@faline.bellcore.com>, karn@faline.UUCP writes:

> Now if only people using my software (mostly for free) would remember
> that I wrote it on my own time and with my own facilities primarily for
>
> Phil Karn, KA9Q

Yes, Phil deserves many thanks for a very well written and useful
piece of software.

Thanks Phil.

--Jon
--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu