[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] WD8003 driver for CMU PCIP

jbvb@ftp.UUCP (James Van Bokkelen) (01/27/88)

It is relatively easy to do a WD8003 driver that runs under light load.
Much harder to avoid the glitches in the Nat. Semi. 8390 chip under heavy
load, or on Starlan...  I don't know of any public ones.

jbvb

khanna@jessica.stanford.EDU (Raman Khanna) (01/28/88)

>Has anyone written a driver for the Western Digital Ethercard Plus (WD8003E)?

We have a WD8003 driver for SU-PC/IP.

While I am at it, I might as well respond to James Van Bokkelen's message
of January 18:

> We added an FTP, but we charge for our code.  Stanford added an FTP, but
> they are limiting their source distribution, because they've sold their code
> to some of the other commercial vendors.  I think you can still get cheap
> binaries from them, though.

> James VanBokkelen

I am planning to release version 3.0 of SU-PC/IP next month.  Binaries
are freely available to any university (for a small charge to cover
distribution/ user manual costs), but sources are restricted to people
who have definite plans about making enhancements to the code. As James
mentioned, we have licensed our code to some vendors and, therefore,
have to be little careful about source distribution.  Another reason
for not giving out sources for last couple of months was that we pretty
much rewrote the code.  Major changes include:

1) Driver level implementation of TCP/IP/UDP  (application level
   interface similar to one used for Macs -- based on CITI specs).

   Note:

2) Code has now been ported to Microsoft C (version 5.0) and MASM

3) Concurrent FTP and Telnet(up to three) session support

4) Changes in SMTP client to make it more secure  (earlier, while
   sending mail, a user could pretend to be anyone he/she chose to
   be, now authentication is used for receiving as well as sending mail).

5) Drivers for WD 8003E, 3C501, 3C503, and 3C523 (therefore, it works
   with all modes of PC/2 running DOS)

6) Also works with TOPS appletalk card -- thanks to Dan Lanciani at
   Harvard.  Haven't tested it with Apple's Appletalk card as yet.

New version would be shipped to all universities holding SU-PC/IP
license.  For information, please send a message to:

         pcip@jessica.stanford.edu   (for PCs)

         macip@jessica.stanford.edu  (for Macs)

   We are currently working on tn3270 and SLIP driver -- not sure if
   these would be ready early enough to be included in version 3.0.

Raman Khanna
Networking and Communication System
Stanford University