[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/Novell gateway

hoisve@utah-cs.UUCP (David T Hoisve) (01/21/88)

We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
TCP/IP Ethernet.

One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
the Ethernet.

I would greatly appreciate information on any current or planned
development efforts in this area.

Thanks,

Dave Hoisve.
University of Utah Computer Center

HOISVE@CC.UTAH.EDU
HOISVE@UTAHCCA.BITNET
{ihnp4,hplabs,decvax}!utah-cs!hoisve

jbvb@ftp.UUCP (James Van Bokkelen) (01/24/88)

There are presently two commercial solutions to this problem, neither being
what you describe:  One uses the file server as a translating gateway between
IPX and TCP/IP.  The other shares the workstation's network interface between
IPX and TCP/IP.

I would only recommend using the file server as a gateway if you have some
kind of incompatible network running the Novell software (ArcNet, Omninet,
whatever).  In this case, Novell and Interlan already have a product that
installs in the server, and software for the workstation.  If they have
published the specs for the IPX side, I haven't heard about it, so you
probably can't roll your own.  I know it uses Novell IPX protocols from
the workstation to the server, where translation to TCP takes place.

If you have Ethernet, or ProNET-10 token ring, you get much better throughput
if you just put a bridge between the Novell network and the TCP/IP network,
and install one of the TCP/IP software products that co-exists with Netware
on the workstation.  Univation, Sytek, Proteon, Interlan, BICC Data Networks
and Schneider & Koch all supply versions of PC/TCP that co-exist with Netware
(there's even software now that we don't supply, from Excelan).

With the TCP/IP on the workstation, sharing a single network card with Netware,
you can use FTP to get or put files from a TCP/IP host to the Novell file
server's disk at 30 or 40 Kbytes/sec.  Of course, this may cost somewhat more
than a server-based approach, but you get higher transfer rates and no impact
on other users of the server.

The approach of building a level-3 gateway would work, but it will require
that ARP and IP be installed on top of IPX, and the gateway needs to be as
smart as a gateway usually is...

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

ROBERT@MCGILL1.BITNET (Robert Craig) (01/24/88)

Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 88 00:00:00 GMT
Sender:       "(PC-IP Arpa Discussions)" <PCIP-L@BYUADMIN>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was pcip-request@louie.udel.edu
From:         David T Hoisve <hoisve@cs.utah.edu>
Subject:      TCP/Novell gateway
To:           Robert Craig <ROBERT@MCGILL1>

We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
TCP/IP Ethernet.

One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
the Ethernet.

I would greatly appreciate information on any current or planned
development efforts in this area.

Thanks,

Dave Hoisve.
University of Utah Computer Center

HOISVE@CC.UTAH.EDU
HOISVE@UTAHCCA.BITNET
{ihnp4,hplabs,decvax}!utah-cs!hoisve
 PCIP-L BYUADMIN  1/23/88
 David T Hoisve      Robert Craig         1/21/88 TCP/Novell gateway

ROBERT@MCGILL1.BITNET (Robert Craig) (01/24/88)

Sorry about the earlier
"empty" reply to this message, my fingers got away from me.

>We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
>TCP/IP Ethernet.
>
>One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
>level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
>Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
>windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
>packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
>from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
>the Ethernet.

If you're going to use a PC anyway to connect the two networks
and act as a gateway, you don't need to do the encapsulation.
The two protocols will coexist quite nicely on the same
physical network.  The only ugly part is that getting
NetWare and whatever TCP/IP product you use to share the
same network interface is unlikely at best, so you either
boot up with the NetWare shell OR with TCP/IP...
I suppose one could arbitrate usage of the single interface,
but it would be tricky.

If you're dead set on the idea of encapsulation, then why
bother with the gateway PC?  Just encapsulate the IP packets
in IPX and pass them through the NetWare bridge to a machine
on the backbone ethernet which strips the encapsulation and
forwards as appropriate.  Don't forget that this machine
will have to understand BOTH routing protocols!

Or write a NetWare Value Added Process which carries
out this function in the file server (bridge) itself.
I considered this approach briefly in a moment of
insanity.  It would mean convincing the bridge
to pass packets it didn't understand on to your process
so that you could fix them up.  It would also mean some
rather tricksy coding in a box that one would like to be
REAL reliable.

If you're going to put the function in the file server,
you're probably further ahead to make the VAP talk to
another network interface (connected to the same netware
network) over which it has exclusive control.  This would
also allow the use of TCP/IP, rather than this clumsy
encapsulation of IP in IPX.  This is, I believe, the
approach taken by Micom/Interlan and also by what's-their-names.

Robert Craig
McGill University Computing Centre

PAP4@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Philip A. Prindeville") (01/25/88)

    The two protocols will coexist quite nicely on the same
    physical network.  The only ugly part is that getting
    NetWare and whatever TCP/IP product you use to share the
    same network interface is unlikely at best, so you either
    boot up with the NetWare shell OR with TCP/IP...
    I suppose one could arbitrate usage of the single interface,
    but it would be tricky.

Not so!  John Romkey of FTP Software, Inc. proposed a standard
datalink level access method for applications to send and
receive MAC level packets over various network interfaces.  The
technique was generic enough to support ethernet, pronet, token
ring (any link level protocol that identifies the above
protocol in a standard way, i.e. packets containing a type field).
Several groups had expressed interest in having Netware co-reside
with another protocol suite (often TCP/IP), and as a result
Novell now supports this 'standard'.  Note that it is not quite
as fast as running directly on top of the interface, but then the
interoperability might be more important.

James VanBokkolen posted a copy of this to PCIP last October 18 or
there abouts, so check the archives.

-Philip

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (01/26/88)

> We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
> TCP/IP Ethernet.
>
> One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
> level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
> Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
> windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
> packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
> from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
> the Ethernet.

Speaking of which: we've been engaged in a similar project to gateway
between a IBM PC-LAN network (in fact: any NetBIOS-based LAN) and the
Internet. One of the PC's serves as a gateway, and contains cards for
both networks. The rest are connected just to the PC-LAN.

The first version supported Mail services, and was implemented
by mapping SMTP to the PC-LAN equivalent. It has been operational
for about a year. In the second version, currently under construction,
IP packets are encapsulated by the local packets. SMTP, FTP and
Telnet will be supported.

Our goal is to build a full-service facility, including most servers.
For example, the Mail server and client are not dependent on external
facilities (hosts, protocols); the mail server is (almost) running as
a TSR, along with PC-LAN Program and DOS.

Like many others, we base our code on MIT's/CMU's Pcip package -- with
substantial mods. Two questions to Netlanders:
- where can we find pcip-FTP sources? Our outdated version doesn't
  include it.
- 3Com's Etherlink card is expensive and slow -- but supported by pcip.
  We'd like to hear about availability of drivers for more modern cards,
  particulary WD. Alternatively, we're thinking about modifying one of the
  existing public domain drivers. It doesn't look too bad; is it ?

TIA,

--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

jbvb@ftp.UUCP (James Van Bokkelen) (01/27/88)

      [] Disclaimer - I have a vested interest in what I'm writing about!

Of course, so did/do I.

      But a gateway works on all types of subnets, and on a flat network
      provides security by forcing a gateway user to log in to Netware before
      accessing TCP hosts.  Also, a gateway only takes up 1 IP address, while
      each workstation is it's own TCP host.
						   Larry Backman
						   Micom - Interlan

This is my personal opinion: I think that the days of "one media/protocol
over here, another over there, and we'll put a translating gateway between
them when we need one" are numbered, if not already past.  Were I advising
someone who didn't already have an investment in incompatible hardware, I'd
tell them to use all Ethernet, or all ProNET-10, or all 802.5, or at least
a mix of Ether and Starlan (for which TCP/IP and MAC-level bridges to
interconnect the two speeds are already available).  Ethernet happens to
be the media available on the widest range of machines, by a large margin,
so that's why I mention it first.  Starlan has identical packet formats...

The issue of IP addresses for workstations is a real one, but the process
of making configuration automatic upon power-up is relatively well-understood.
I'd expect it to be addressed by at least one commercial supplier sometime
during 1988.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) (01/29/88)

Novell is marketing such a product. Even though there seems to be an
implantation running under Netware 286 v2.0a, the only commercially available
implementation seems to be running under SFT Netware 286 v2.1 (Part No
02-005-01).
The physical link is on the server and enables up to 16 workstations to
connect simultaneously to the TCP world. The kit includes an NP600A Ethernet
controller, the gateway software and the documentation. There is also a short
pamphlet describing the Netware TCP/IP option (document 420-010270-001 June 87).
I haven't got any chance yet to try this gateway, so I cannot give any
information on speed or reliability.

Another commercial source is ISOLAN (BICC data networks). They sell an ISOLAN
multi-protocol IEEE 802.3 ethernet support for the PC. It allows you to connect
your PC to a Novell server and to the TCP world simultaneously. This is not a
real gateway (as far as I can tell). The ISOLAN controller with multi-protocol
handler sofware is Part No 4113-0, the Novell drivers are Part No 4116-x
(x depends on what version of Netware your server is running).

Hope this helps,

Bertrand Ibrahim.

( usual disclaimer: ... :-)

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (01/29/88)

In article <3695@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>Like many others, we base our code on MIT's/CMU's Pcip package -- with
>substantial mods. Two questions to Netlanders:
>- where can we find pcip-FTP sources? Our outdated version doesn't
>  include it.

FTP was never included as a part of either the MIT or CMU PC/IP. There
haven't been any major changes to the public domain code for several
years. The last major changes that I can remember were SLIP being added to
the CMU release, and I can't even remember if that really happened or if
my memory is playing tricks on me.

Stanford and the commercial sellers of PC/IP-based software (FTP Software,
Wollongong, IBM) have added FTP to PC/IP.

>- 3Com's Etherlink card is expensive and slow -- but supported by pcip.
>  We'd like to hear about availability of drivers for more modern cards,
>  particulary WD. Alternatively, we're thinking about modifying one of the
>  existing public domain drivers. It doesn't look too bad; is it ?

Newer cards like the Western Digital WD8003 and Micom-Interlan NI5210
run much faster than the 3C501 *and* tend to be lower priced. It won't
be too easy to modify the old 3C501 driver to work with these cards,
though, as the ethernet controller chips on the cards are completely
different from the 3C501's. I don't know of any public domain drivers,
but often the manufacturers have a simple driver they can supply you
with.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey