[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NETBIOS support for KA9Q

NEUMANN@AWIWUW11.BITNET (04/05/88)

Date: 5 April 1988, 02:40:26 MEZ
From: NEUMANN  at AWIWUW11
To:   PCIP@UDEL.EDU at EDU
Subject: NETBIOS support for KA9Q

Maybe somebody is interested in netbios driver for ka9q. The code I can
provide emerged from a version of Kelly McDonald of BYU (thanks again
Kelly :-). It has been improved a little and is running now nicely
with the dez25 release of ka9q.

In our setup one PC is gateway between the university wide ethernet
backbone and our local netbios based IBM PC network. On the netbios
side the driver shares the network card with the IBM PC LAN program.
Hence is possible to use (from eg one unix machine on the ethernet) PC
LAN network devices (disks or printers) via ftp. Our main usage is to
telnet from the PCs to the Unix machines.

We have the IBM 2Mb baseband LAN installed. The software also works
with the IBM token ring (we have had an test installation for one
weekend). Kelly uses a Novell network.

Communication is done using netbios datagrams. The speed is not
overwhelming (ftp to PCs in the PC LAN: 6-10 Kbytes/sec, from PCs about
2-3 Kbytes/sec; figures are from disk to disk). The driver is running
now reliably (without hangups) since January.

If somebody is interested in the stuff just send me a note, i will mail
you the mods.

-Gustaf Neumann
 University of Economics, Vienna