[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Western Digital board, PC-NFS

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/11/88)

In article <oWVqBoy00UoJM5LWJt@andrew.cmu.edu> ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins) writes:
>Where did you get that price quote from?  Name, address, etc?  I'd like to get
>a couple of the boards.

I imagine there will be others interested so I am posting the
response.  My quote was from a rather boring place. The local WD
distributor is Wyle Electronics. That was a quantity one price. I
don't know if that reflects a corporate discount or not. But try your
local WD distributor. If you don't know who he is, call the factory
and ask.

I wonder what an aggressive price discounter like Fry's Electronics
would price the WD board at. Between ThinWire Ethernet and this
hardware, I wonder about Appletalk on PCs. There's a small matter of
software, of course, but, well, who knows.

Is there anyone else out there using the Sun PC-NFS telnet? It doesn't
seem to allow multiple sessions like ka9q. Or allow the host to set
tabs. And there's no ftp server like ka9q. Although it has a much
nicer ftp client than ka9q. And its vt100 emulation is MUCH better.
(to be fair, I think ka9q relies on the ansi.sys or whatever. anyway,
we can't figure out a good termcap for use with ka9q).

--
Make Japan the 51st state!

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com