[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Request for HP telnet

roytar@syntrex.uucp (Roy Tarantino) (05/13/88)

Hi,

Anybody out there know of a telnet that emulates an HP 262x (or any
other) terminal?  It can be PD or commerical.  I'm talking about a
telnet client for a PC (I'm assuming HP has a telnet server).  Any info
about TCP/IP support on an HP machine would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Roy Tarantino
...!pyrnj!syntrex!roytar

BEAME@sscvax.mcmaster.ca (05/14/88)

>Anybody out there know of a telnet that emulates an HP 262x (or any
>other) terminal?  It can be PD or commerical.  I'm talking about a
>telnet client for a PC (I'm assuming HP has a telnet server).  Any info
>about TCP/IP support on an HP machine would be very helpful.

If no one has an HP 262x TELNET and you have access to a HP 262x serial
terminal emulator, you might want to consider BWCOM from Beame & Whiteside
Software Ltd.

BWCOM allows most serial terminal emulators to run TELNET TCP/IP on
ethernet.

    - Carl Beame
      Beame@McMaster   (Bitnet)
      Beame@McMaster.CA

jbvb@vax.ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (05/14/88)

HP did a program that allows programs written for the HP150 to be run on
normal IBM PCs.  It can be loaded as a driver for DOS's CON device, and
so it works with our 'glass' telnet and rlogin.  I don't know exactly
which kind of HP terminal this winds up emulating (maybe a 2622?), the
documentation only talks about the 150.

The program is public-domain, but I don't know where it might be obtained
from besides HP (distributing p-d software isn't our line of business).
It is called PCAIOS, and the distribution I have seen includes source.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (John Romkey) (05/14/88)

> Date: Fri, 13 May 88 15:40:32 EDT
> From: James Van Bokkelen <jbvb@vax.ftp.com>
> Subject: Re: Request for HP telnet

> The program is public-domain, but I don't know where it might be obtained
> from besides HP (distributing p-d software isn't our line of business).

Distributing public domain software *is* part of FTP Software's line of
business. FTP offers a disk (part number PC-800) with some public domain
software (name servers, time servers, replacement TFTP server for BSD Unix)
priced at roughly production cost. If someone could get hold of the emulator,
it would make a good addition to this disk.
			- john romkey
-------

john@twg-ap.UUCP (John Caughy) (05/17/88)

	I am assuming that by HP systems you mean 3000s with MPE.  HP
9000 systems running HP-UX have all the 4.3 BSD features and then some.
For MPE systems Wollongong, Palo Alto, Ca.  provides telnet service
with a product called WIN/TCP for MPE/V.
	With regard to HP terminal emulation I suggest two solutions
for MPE systems.  One would be Preview, a product by Tymlabs of
Austin, Texas (512) 478-0611.  Preview provides similar services to the
Unix termcap facility for MPE systems.  Preview supports close to one
hundred terminal types and probably includes PC monitors and keyboards.
The main thrust of the product is to allow you access to your VIEW or
block mode applications on the 3000.
	As for a true terminal emulation for PCs may be you haven't
tried hard enough with HP.  I would think HP would offer some type of
emulation for their Vectras.  I have heard tales about a fellow named
Richard Gillmann who developed an HP terminal emulation for PCs on behalf of
DARPA years ago.  His product was called VDTE, his company was called
Interloop Software (213) 822-2880.

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (05/19/88)

I investigated further on the PCIAOS HP150 terminal emulator I posted about
last week; it isn't public domain after all.  Try your HP rep.

jbvb