[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 8232 LAN STATION

ROBERT@MCGILL1.BITNET (Robert Craig) (06/09/88)

The only interfaces "supported" as part of the LAN Channel Support
program are the ethernet, IBM token ring, and IBM PC Network.
There exist drivers for Proteon ProNet 10 and ProNet 80, however
they are not currently part of the product, and apparently may
only be obtained as part of joint projects with IBM.

This is rather unfortunate, particularly in light of the fact that
ProNet support was included in the 7170 DACU product.

Robert Craig
Network Support
McGill University Computing Centre
805 Sherbrooke St. W.
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2K6
(514) 398-3710
Acknowledge-To: <ROBERT@MCGILL1>

AEDAVIS@UMSVM.BITNET (Don Davis) (06/09/88)

(601) 232-5922
  I would like to thank everyone for their information on the use of
ProNET-10 with the IBM 8232 Lan Channel Station. The feeling I
received from the replies was that if there was enough intrest IBM could
be persuaded to provide the neccesary information to write a device driver
for the 8232 Lan Station. In light of this information I would suggest
that anyone interested in using the Proteon product with thier 8232 Lan
Station or would upgrade to this product if that capability where available,
to send a message to myself at this mailing address, instead of the pcip
mailing list.

  Again thank you for your information.

Sincerly,

DON DAVIS
NETWORK ANALYST
UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI
TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
UNIVERSITY, MS. 38677
(601) 232-5922

VM0A61@WVNVM.BITNET ("Bryan, Jerry") (06/09/88)

>The only interfaces "supported" as part of the LAN Channel Support
>program are the ethernet, IBM token ring, and IBM PC Network.
>There exist drivers for Proteon ProNet 10 and ProNet 80, however
>they are not currently part of the product, and apparently may
>only be obtained as part of joint projects with IBM.

>This is rather unfortunate, particularly in light of the fact that
>ProNet support was included in the 7170 DACU product.

My understanding was that the 7170 product was never supported by
IBM for *anything*;  it was a customer supported box.