[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] WD 8003E, Related Exchanges and Drivel

GD.WHY@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Yundt) (06/09/88)

Mr. Manos.....

Whether a Network Research Corp. offering is a "good
deal" or not is in the eyes of the beholder....not that
I am any fan of NRC.  I just wish you people from
commercial organizations (assuming Alpha Omega
Consulting Group is not an eleemosynary would keep your
bad mouthing of products and offerings of other
commercial organizations to yourselves and not clutter
up our bboard exchanges with them.  I frankly suspect
the motivations of such opinions and wish I didn't have
to spend time junking such drivel from my incoming
mail.

Bill Yundt
Director, Networking and Communication Systems
Stanford University

To:  PCIP@LOUIE.UDEL.EDU

FORWARDED MESSAGE 06/08/88 23:07 FROM AOCGL!TMANOS@UUNET.UU.NET "Theodore W.
Manos": Re: WD 8003E

Date: 8 Jun 88 03:43:23 GMT
From: "Theodore W. Manos" <aocgl!tmanos@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: WD 8003E
Sender: pcip-request@louie.udel.edu
To: pcip@louie.udel.edu

In article <1493@nrcvax.UUCP> jean@nrcvax.UUCP writes:
> Network Research Corporation will be selling the WD8003 with TCP/IP
> software (FUSION) together for $495 as of June 15.

Well, considering that I can get the WD8003 for <$200, and NCSA or KA9Q
for free, is this suppose to be a "great deal"?
Ted Manos   tmanos@aocgl.{COM,UUCP,UU.NET}  or ...!{uunet,mcdchg}!aocgl!tmanos

tmanos@aocgl.UUCP ("Theodore W. Manos") (06/12/88)

Mr. Yundt....

First, I'd like to point out that we do not manufacture or sell any
product to the general public, thus I/we were/are in no position to
"profit" by my earlier question.  However, I still stand by that
question, as well as the correctness and propriety of my actions.  You
may or may not have noticed that the two software products that I put
forth as an example both happen to be available to the public for free.
I would be interested in knowing exactly how you propose I should profit
from that.  You, sir, may or may not continue to "suspect" my
"motivations", as you desire.  That is your right.

However, I both find great fault with, and take personal exception to,
you assertion that you have more right to post your opinions, questions,
etc., to this network than I, or for that matter, any other person who
might happen to be associated with a "commercial organization".  I
submit that I have at *least* as much right, if not more, simply by
virtue of my affiliation with several colleges and DOD contractors, not
to mention other reasons.  Even ignoring that, remember one of the
initial reasons for the creation of the DARPA net - to tie together many
of the research organizations doing work with/for the DOD - *not* just
to tie together a bunch of academicians (of which I am one also).  I do
believe that this included *one or two* commercial organizations too.

I would suggest that, should you desire to continue this discussion any
further, you contact me directly and not bother the rest of the net with
what would amount to a personal discussion.  You might also note, the
original posting was *not* to pcip@louie.UDEL.EDU, but was to a USENET
news.group, which is of a much different nature that this mailing
list.  That the article happened to get gatewayed to the pcip mailing
list is beyond my personal control.

Ted Manos
President
Alpha Omega Consulting Group, LTD

<referenced article mercifully *not* included, in part or in whole.>