[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Ethernet Card

CNV38@bnr.ca (Mike Hui, M.H.) (06/18/88)

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone can help me with the following:

1. What are the good reliable, decent throughput Ethernet card
   for the PC?

2. Which company adopts an open-door policy in terms of software
   and hardware interfaces to the card?  I know that drivers for
   many Ethernet cards are available.  I would, however, feel much
   more comfortable to deal with a vendor who doesn't mind or
   actually prefers to make their card's interface public.

Mike Hui

Bell-Northern Research
P.O.Box 3511, Station C
Ottawa, Canada K1Y 4H7

Tel: (613)-763-4020

CNV38@BNR.CA.BITNET

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/18/88)

In article <8806171456.aa00215@Louie.UDEL.EDU> CNV38@bnr.ca (Mike Hui, M.H.) writes:
>1. What are the good reliable, decent throughput Ethernet card
>   for the PC?
>2. Which company adopts an open-door policy in terms of software
>   and hardware interfaces to the card?  I know that drivers for
>   many Ethernet cards are available.  I would, however, feel much
>   more comfortable to deal with a vendor who doesn't mind or
>   actually prefers to make their card's interface public.

From both the performance side and openess side Western Digital seems
to be the best. There's been a big discussion in this very group
recently and the general conclusion seemed to be WD had the easiest to
configure and fastest interface.

I just got 900K of drivers, source and binary, and documentation by
visiting my local WD guy. He said they were copyrighted by WD but were
freely distributable. I've gotten a number of requests for the files
and am now trying to figure out how to distribute them.

Any suggestions?
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (06/18/88)

 > I've gotten a number of requests for the files and am now trying to
 > figure out how to distribute them. Any suggestions?

yeah. tar/compress or zoo, to reduce the distrib to 400K or so.
Uuencode (to 550K ?), then split to 11 50K portions. Send by mail
to someone whose machine supprots anon-ftp on the internet, and has
a little room to spare.  Wanna try me?

--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

tmanos@aocgl.UUCP (Theodore W. Manos) (06/19/88)

In article <22140@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> I just got 900K of drivers, source and binary, and documentation by
> visiting my local WD guy. He said they were copyrighted by WD but were
> freely distributable. I've gotten a number of requests for the files
> and am now trying to figure out how to distribute them.
>
> Any suggestions?

How 'bout setting them up someplace where they can be gotten by anonymous
FTP or ftp (UUCP).  If that represents a problem due to Amdahl policies,
maybe somebody else would volunteer.  (I'm not on the Internet, but I still
might consider it)

Ted Manos   tmanos@aocgl.{COM,UUCP,UU.NET}  or ...!{uunet,mcdchg}!aocgl!tmanos

SUPPORT2@NUS3090.BITNET (Chneg Lok) (06/23/88)

any idea who markets the WD card over here in Singapore?