[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Looking for inexpensive ethernet cards

philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip Prindeville) (08/23/88)

	I just recently was able to purchase a 3comm 3C501 for $309.00

If you kept the receipt, you might be able to return it and
get a WD8003E for $219 (or less).  A superior board...

-Philip

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (08/23/88)

In article <8808230002.AA01189@Larry.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip Prindeville) writes:

>	I just recently was able to purchase a 3comm 3C501 for $309.00
>
>If you kept the receipt, you might be able to return it and
>get a WD8003E for $219 (or less).  A superior board...
>
>-Philip

We bought the WD boards for $215, quantity 10 ($233 in single units)
from WLYE Labs - (408) 727-2500, ask for Mike Gravelle at ext. 2594.

Note though, that the WD board may not be as widely supported by
specialized products and small vendors as the 3COM products.

---
I have no connection with WYLE, except as a (at times [like this one])
satisified customer.

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (08/23/88)

In article <8808221006.aa25881@Louie.UDEL.EDU>, CC06067@UAFSYSB.BITNET (Christopher Corke) writes:

> I just recently was able to purchase a 3comm 3C501 for $309.00

  The Western Digital cards (WD8003E, I believe) is available mailorder for
about $215.  I just finished the installation of one which was purchased at
a local dealer for $199.  It's not intelligent, but it does have 8k of dual
ported RAM (a newer version has 32k), and most applications seem to support
it.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff