[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Wollongong's PC router

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (08/25/88)

An additional issue with Wollongong's approach to connecting a NetBIOS
LAN to IP/Ethernet is that the router software does not support a
routing information exchange protocol (eg RIP), meaning lots of
unpleasantness with configuring static routes to drop it into a large
network.  The only thing worse, I suppose, would be router software
that *did* support RIP, which anyone could put up on any PC anywhere
anytime with any funny network numbers they felt like . . .

A better scheme, I think, would be the one used by KIP for the
Kinetics FastPath: the gateway manages a set of IP host addresses from
the address space of the Ethernet network to which it is attached, and
responds with its Ethernet address to ARPs within that set (I guess
it's just Proxy ARP, isn't it).  No muss with routing issues, the PC
clients run IP-over-NetBIOS as usual.  Having the gateway dynamically
assign IP addresses to the PC clients (ala KIP) would be even better,
but not necessary.  NetBIOS name discovery could handle the PCs
finding the gateway's link-level address (since it's not an IP router
any more).

- RL "Bob" Morgan
  Networking Systems
  Stanford

dcrocker@TWG.COM (Dave Crocker) (08/26/88)

Bob Morgan is correct that our current product does not support dynamic
routing information exchanges.  That is slated for the next revision to the
product.  For the initial customer base, this does not appear to be a major
problem, since the product is being used in simple networks, with few
subnets.  At the worst, use of a "default" next-hop is adequate.  (This is
a common mechanism, to simplify routing tables for leaf sub-nets, but is
generally viewed as a poor, if not dangerous, long-term mechanism, which is
why we are using it only for the short-term.

Bob's suggestion of having a fake router which spoofs one sub-nets membership
as part of another is clever but, it seems to me, frought with danger.

One of the simplest concerns is that every new type of mechanism that is
added to the architecture of a network alters the complexity and, therefore,
predictability, of the architecture.  For example, what does this scheme do
to network security?  Does it really make the network simpler to manage? ...

This would be a convenient moment to step onto a soapbox to cite the
excessive excitement people have about Level 2 (or MAC or Learning) Bridge
technology, but that probably is for a different discussion group.

Dave

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (08/26/88)

Dave Crocker writes:

> Bob's suggestion of having a fake router which spoofs one sub-nets
> membership as part of another is clever

Hmmm, let's not assume that a device that connects between two
different link-level methods has to be an internetwork router . . .

>                                         but, it seems to me, fraught
> with danger.  One of the simplest concerns is that every new type of
> mechanism that is added to the architecture of a network alters the
> complexity and, therefore, predictability, of the architecture.  For
> example, what does this scheme do to network security?  Does it really
> make the network simpler to manage? ...

This would indeed be a new mechanism in the PC/NetBIOS context, but
this scheme is in use by about 60 KIP gateways and over 400
Macintoshes (and some PCs on LocalTalk, too) at Stanford, and dozens
if not hundreds of similar installations nation- and world-wide.
Running a Kinetics box as an IP router is also possible; I believe KIP
is the choice of the vast majority of K-box owners.

I'll admit the idea could fail completely if the AppleTalk NBP
mechanisms that are used to locate the gateway, acquire and defend
addresses, etc, don't map well to NetBIOS (about which I know fairly
little).  Certainly it's hard to classify such a gateway as an
OSI-level-N relay, but NetBIOS as a link layer is a little iffy to
start with.

Ease of management is in fact the major benefit of the scheme.  With
the KIP scheme (including dynamic IP address assignment) _absolutely_
no_configuration_ is needed to add a new user station to an existing
net.  No Bootp tables, no RARP tables, no IP address assignment.  Of
course, your organizational IP address reservation method does need to
have a way to reserve a block of addresses for the gateway.  And, as
mentioned before, it's transparent to your IP routers as well.

 - RL "Bob"