[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] DS1/DDS PC Boards

jom@belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) (09/02/88)

Dear Friends,

Are there PC (8- or 16-bits) boards on the market that somehow connect
up to AT&T's DDS (56 kbit) or DS1 (1.5 mbit, not really aka T1) services?
Are they certified by AT&T? Are there any packet interchange standards here?
Besides SL/IP :-) ?  I know about the trick where inverted HDLC signals
pass DS1 signal specs.  Any further comments on this?

Companies, addresses, phone numbers, product propaganda cheerfully accepted.

Jerry O. Merlaine
Bell Technologies
330 Warren Avenue
Fremont, CA  94539
(415) 659-9097

Oh, what a beautiful moooooooorniiiiinnnngggg,
Oh, what a beautiful daaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!

philipp@MOE.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip Prindeville) (09/03/88)

> Date: 2 Sep 88 00:32:04 GMT
> From: Jerry Merlaine <amdahl!pacbell!belltec!jom@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
> Subject: DS1/DDS PC Boards
> To: pcip@louie.udel.edu
>
> Are there PC (8- or 16-bits) boards on the market that somehow connect
> up to AT&T's DDS (56 kbit) or DS1 (1.5 mbit, not really aka T1) services?
> Are they certified by AT&T? Are there any packet interchange standards here?
> Besides SL/IP :-) ?  I know about the trick where inverted HDLC signals
> pass DS1 signal specs.  Any further comments on this?
>
> Companies, addresses, phone numbers, product propaganda cheerfully accepted.
>
> Jerry O. Merlaine
> [ ... ]

This has come up before (in April I think), but PCIP probably gets new
readers all the time, so...

Yes, there are at least two that I know of.  One is called Speedlinx-II
and is made by DSP Technology, in Dallas Tx.  It is a PC interface with:
local RAM, an 80186, an HDLC/LAPB processor, and a DDS-56 DSU.  The other
is rated at T1 speed (though I don't know if it will achieve 99.9% line
utilization), made by MetaComp of San Diego, CA.  It is also a PC
interface, has local RAM, an 80186, an serial synchronous control.  The
line interface is done as a daughter board.  I don't know if a T1 board
is available for it or whether you have to use a V.35 interface and a
DSU/CSU.  The Speedlinx board is AT&T certified.

SLIP at T1; Good luck.  Actually, there is work being done to support
IP (or XNS, or DECnet, etc) over bit-synchronous lines.  This is being
done by the Synchronous Point-to-Point Protocol Working Group.  I'm the
chair, and we should have a draft document out real soon now...  Several
vendors are involved and have tentatively agreed to support it.

-Philip