[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Mapping ETHERNET to COM

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (08/11/88)

I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
host (running NFS if that matters).

The sysem is a standard IBM-PC/XT with a Western Digital WD8003E
ethernet board.

--
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (08/18/88)

From article <142@pbseps.UUCP>, by rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman):
> I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
> use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
> with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
> standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
> host (running NFS if that matters).
>
> The sysem is a standard IBM-PC/XT with a Western Digital WD8003E
> ethernet board.

The short answer is that it can't be done !

Most  dos comms programs use some inbuilt driver
that bit twiddles the uart (com1 or com2) directly,
your ethernet virtual port would have to be a full hardware
level emulation of a 16450 uart.

This is a common problem, we make intelligent serial
cards for PC/AT type boxes and have a similar problems:
We don't look like a uart so the software wont talk
to us.

There are two solutions that I know of:

1) ASCOM - sorry don't know the authors - will let you
write your own uart interface.

2) 386 virtual 8086 mode, i.e. fake a uart in software
(n.b. this is not simple :-)

> --
> Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
> 180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

John Pettitt
Specialix International

--
John Pettitt, Specialix, Giggs Hill Rd, Thames Ditton, Surrey, U.K., KT7 0TR
{backbone}!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp            jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk

dj@cix.UUCP (Dj Walker Morgan Systems Manager CIX) (08/19/88)

>From article <142@pbseps.UUCP>, by rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman):
> I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
> use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
> with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
> standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
> host (running NFS if that matters).
>
> --
> Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
> 180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

Now, this rings a bell ..... You won't be able to do it in software *BUT*
I remember Novell were hacking away on a board which sat where Com1: or
Com2: would sit and did it's best to pretend to be a Com port. It then
assembled a packet and bounced it on into the network for picking up
by whoever was interested (in Novell's case it was a comms server)....

Now that's what I've heard..... It aint 'exactly' what you want, but it
is going in the right direction.... I haven't seen it as a final product
from Novell though..... But you can always ask them :)

DJ : Cix Systems Manager |  A disclaimer : It wasn't my fault.
Voice UK-01-390-8446     +-------------------------------------------------

dj@cix.UUCP (Dj Walker Morgan Systems Manager CIX) (08/19/88)

Just to follow that up re Novell's card. Novell were to take it on from
a third party, but that fell through (as far as I know). Anyway the
guys who do it are New York Based and are ...

     J&L Information systems
         (0101)-818-709-1778

According to my info the board was sub $200 but check with them.....

Oh it was called the NCA (Network Communications Adapter)

philf@med-isg.uucp (Phil Fernandez) (08/22/88)

In article <224@slxsys.specialix.co.uk> jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
>From article <142@pbseps.UUCP>, by rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman):
>> I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
>> use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
>> with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
>> standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
>> host (running NFS if that matters).
>>
>> The sysem is a standard IBM-PC/XT with a Western Digital WD8003E
>> ethernet board.
>
>The short answer is that it can't be done !

Hmmmm....It works for me here at Stanford!  We use the BWCOM package
from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd.  BWCOM works correctly with comm.
programs that interface directly to the UART.  It does so by looping
back the COM[1,2] port via a simple loopback plug supplied with the
product.

BWCOM looks at "AT" commands sent by the comm program to obtain IP
addresses and other control codes, then redirects the comm session out
via telnet.

The long answer is that it can be done !

Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. is at:

259 Fiddler's Green Road,
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G 1W9
(416)648-6556

pmf

(I have no relationship with B&W, except that I'm a customer of
theirs...)

+--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Phil Fernandez                       | philf@med-isg.stanford.edu          |
| Director,                            | ...!sun!med-isg.stanford.edu!philf  |
| Data and Technology Resources Group  |                                     |
| Stanford University Data Center      | I need to put a quote here...       |
+--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) (08/23/88)

In article <224@slxsys.specialix.co.uk> jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
>From article <142@pbseps.UUCP>, by rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman):
>> I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
>> use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
>> with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
>> standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
>> host (running NFS if that matters).
>>
>> The sysem is a standard IBM-PC/XT with a Western Digital WD8003E
>> ethernet board.
>
>The short answer is that it can't be done !
>
>Most  dos comms programs use some inbuilt driver
>that bit twiddles the uart (com1 or com2) directly,
>your ethernet virtual port would have to be a full hardware
>level emulation of a 16450 uart.
>
>This is a common problem, we make intelligent serial
>cards for PC/AT type boxes and have a similar problems:
>We don't look like a uart so the software wont talk
>to us.
>
>There are two solutions that I know of:
>
>1) ASCOM - sorry don't know the authors - will let you
>write your own uart interface.
>
>2) 386 virtual 8086 mode, i.e. fake a uart in software
>(n.b. this is not simple :-)

Also, MS-Kermit V 2.30 and up supports NetBIOS, as well as the Ungerman-
Bass ethernet cards (for the UB support you might have to get 2.31).

                      S. John Banner

...!uw-beaver!uvicctr!sol!sbanner1
...!ubc-vision!uvicctr!sol!sbanner1
ccsjb@uvvm.bitnet  (Please avoid this address if possible)
sbanner1%sol.uvic.cdn@ubc.csnet
sbanner1@sol.uvic.ca

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (09/07/88)

In article <173@cix.UUCP>, dj@cix.UUCP (Dj Walker Morgan Systems Manager CIX) writes:

> >From article <142@pbseps.UUCP>, by rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman):
> > I am looking for a program/patch/utility that would allow me to
> > use IBM-PC software (i.e. Crossstalk, MS-Windows, Symphony etc.)
> > with a psuedo port on an ethernet instead of the expected
> > standard serial port COM(1,2).  I want to "talk" with a tcp/ip
> > host (running NFS if that matters).

> Now, this rings a bell ..... You won't be able to do it in software *BUT*
> I remember Novell were hacking away on a board which sat where Com1: or
> Com2: would sit and did it's best to pretend to be a Com port.

You'll be able to do this in software. In fact, there's a company who sells
something they call PC-NFS-Rx, which is Sun's PC-NFS (currently R3.0)
bundled with a TELNET driver and your choice of one of the Reflection
terminal emulators. The info I have says they're doing this by emulating
a physical COM port... They put the port in loopback mode or somesuch.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 758-202 50   Fax: +46 758-197 20

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (09/08/88)

In article <315@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>You'll be able to do this in software. In fact, there's a company who sells
>something they call PC-NFS-Rx, which is Sun's PC-NFS (currently R3.0)
>bundled with a TELNET driver and your choice of one of the Reflection
>terminal emulators. The info I have says they're doing this by emulating
>a physical COM port... They put the port in loopback mode or somesuch.
>--

Don't keep the name a secret... WHO???, WHERE??  PNONE???

---