[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Need TCP/IP support for 3C505 card

irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) (09/27/88)

After many a days effort spent trying to get my PC's up on my network,
I am looking for some new information. We currently have a TCP/IP net
with many different systems up and operational. Unfortunately we can
not seem to get our PC's working correctly. We have 3Com 3C505 boards,
about a year old, and Wollongong Groups WIN/PC product for software.
The problem is the WIN/PC software (at least the revision level we're
at) does not seem to support the 3C505 properly. I am not writing this to
flame on Wollongong specifically, but their help in this situation has
left much to be desired. Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
						Thanks,
						 Ira

UUCP:{gatech, chinet, clyde}!mcdchg!amtfocus!irab

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (09/28/88)

In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP>, irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:
>  ... We have 3Com 3C505 boards,
> about a year old, and Wollongong Groups WIN/PC product for software.
> The problem is the WIN/PC software (at least the revision level we're
> at) does not seem to support the 3C505 properly. I am not writing this to
> flame on Wollongong specifically, but their help in this situation has
> left much to be desired. Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
> software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?

Yes, but I don't know if your luck with FTP Software, Inc. is going to
be much better!  We recently got a 3Com-523 (Micro-channel) card for
our new PS2 system.  We had an AT with a 3C505, and upgraded.  I called
FTP Inc. and asked to order the version for the 523...  They said I could
upgrade my old software for the new software for a reasonable price.
The lady told me she would ship it "right away".  That was over a month
ago.  I called FTP today, and they said that their latest product
is "on hold".  She did not know "when it would be released for shipment."
I find this very annoying, and hard to believe!  (How can they not
know when a release is going to be ready?)  However, we have been using
their older version, 1.16, and it works fine with a 3C505.  If you
plan on ordering it from them, however, be prepared to wait a loooooooooong
time, as their shipment/release policies seem lacking.
I can not comment on the 3C523 software yet, as we (obviously) do not
have it.

BTW, if you can wait for your software, FTP can be reached at: 617-868-4878

john@polyof.poly.edu [128.238.10.100]
john@polygraf.bitnet

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (09/28/88)

PC/TCP has a driver for the 3C505.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

lotto@wjh12.harvard.edu (Jerry Lotto) (10/02/88)

In article <383@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>In article <157@amtfocus.UUCP>, irab@amtfocus.UUCP (Ira Brenner) writes:

>>                      Anyway, the real question is: are there any other
>> software packages, possibly public domain, that will support the 3C505?

>be much better!  We recently got a 3Com-523 (Micro-channel) card for
>our new PS2 system.  We had an AT with a 3C505, and upgraded.

upgraded?

>            I called FTP today, and they said that their latest product
>is "on hold".  She did not know "when it would be released for shipment."
>I find this very annoying, and hard to believe!  (How can they not
>know when a release is going to be ready?).

Try any number of problems, the printer didn't return the manuals on
time. Someone reported a bug that HAD to be fixed. An RFC was
released. etc... They do a pretty good job getting things out the
door, but they are a small company and cannot do many things in-house.

>plan on ordering it from them, however, be prepared to wait a loooooooooong
>time, as their shipment/release policies seem lacking.

I think that this posting was a knee-jerk reaction, extrapolating a single
data point! I have had nothing but good service from FTP. They are a damn
site smaller than the companies that they compete with, you can still
talk to the actual developers on the phone if you have to. It is a shame
that you had a bad experience, may I suggest (if you are in a rush to
get something working), that you call back and ask WHY things are on hold.
Perhaps you can get code sooner than you think.

>                                      FTP can be reached at: 617-868-4878

BTW, the 505 driver has been available for quite some time. This was the
original question. The fact that you were trying to get a 523 driver was
interesting, but had nothing to do with a response to the first posting.

Disclaimer -	These are my personal opinions, I do not represent Harvard
		in this posting. I do not hold stock in or work for FTP.
		I do know the crew over there pretty well, and have a lot
		of respect for what they can accomplish.
--
Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto