[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP-IP libraries for Macs and ATs

ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) (09/27/88)

 I am sure that this is an old topic but due to my only recent interest
in this I am looking to find out what TCP-IP libraries are available that
run on Pcs and Macs. I would be very appreciative of some pointers to
where to find out more... Thanks in advance.

		Erik Freed
		UUCP:well!ejf
		(415) 461-5400

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (09/28/88)

We sell libraries for the PC under DOS.  Version 2 includes a pretty good
Berkeley Sockets emulation in addition to a native PC interface.  Version 1
looks a lot like PC/IP in structore (the tasker is linked in).

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/29/88)

In article <7219@well.UUCP> ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) writes:

> I am sure that this is an old topic but due to my only recent interest
>in this I am looking to find out what TCP-IP libraries are available that
>run on Pcs and Macs. I would be very appreciative of some pointers to
>where to find out more... Thanks in advance.
>
>		Erik Freed
>		UUCP:well!ejf
>		(415) 461-5400

Sun/TOPS has got both.  I wrote "TOPS TCP/IP" for the Macintosh last year,
and it should theoretically be available through the TOPS Developer Program.
Brent Noorda did some TCP/IP work on the PC as well, but I don't think it's
been broken out of his terminal program for others to use.  Sun used another
PC TCP/IP for their earlier client-only MS-DOS version of NFS; I don't know
about its availability.

Apple has announced they will have a TCP/IP, as reported in a recent MacWeek.
It was developed by the University of Michigan, primarily.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The time is gone, the song is over.

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (09/30/88)

Apple is showing their new TCP/IP drivers at inter/op.  They are not
the U of Mich drivers.  They were written inside Apple.  They look
pretty good and use some of the ideas that Jacobson (sic) of Berkeley?
did to BSD TCP/IP.

Cheers,
Mark

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/01/88)

In article <23036@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark
A. Verber) writes:
>Apple is showing their new TCP/IP drivers at inter/op.  They are not
>the U of Mich drivers.  They were written inside Apple.

According to a source at Apple who was kind enough to write me, the Apple
TCP/IP implementation was done by Ungermann-Bass.  My UofMich speculation was
based on what Martin Haeberli told me in 1987, which seemed to be corroborated
by recent trade press reports.  I know, it was stupid to believe the trade
press, sorry....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Strong men tremble when they hear it.

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (10/01/88)

In article <5475@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>Apple has announced they will have a TCP/IP, as reported in a recent MacWeek.
>It was developed by the University of Michigan, primarily.
>--

Apple announced MacTCP this week at Interop 88. It is supposedly based
on the NCSA kernel and not the UMich stuff (or something link that).
It is NOT an end-user package but for developers only. Stanford-IP has been
modified to fit as has NCSA Telnet. UB has the first product out on it.

Kinetics has also release a similiar product called TCPport. TOPS has not
released anything like this, period.

Do you know if TOPS will, Tim?

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/04/88)

In article <1300@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber)
writes:
>Apple announced MacTCP this week at Interop 88. It is supposedly based
>on the NCSA kernel and not the UMich stuff (or something link that).

That makes four attributions of the source so far: UofM, Apple, NCSA, and
Ungermann-Bass.  My money is now riding on the last one.  But who knows?

>It is NOT an end-user package but for developers only. Stanford-IP has been
>modified to fit as has NCSA Telnet. UB has the first product out on it.

How nice.  In their usual TOPS-bashing, Apple didn't bother to make us aware
of it when I was there.  I always get a kick out of it when Apple talks about
their wonderful support of third-party developers.

>Kinetics has also release a similiar product called TCPport. TOPS has not
>released anything like this, period.
>Do you know if TOPS will, Tim?

Probably not; the TOPS developer program is a joke.  I have two fine pieces of
software, InterBase and TOPS TCP/IP, which would be perfect for it, but no
one has ever licensed them because the marketing boys at TOPS don't think
beta testing or the developer program are worth a full-time employee.  Grumble
grr hiss boo.  But TOPS TCP/IP stabilized last year, and had the last known
bug removed in the spring; it ought to be available now.  Maybe you could get
it if you asked.

What was that I said earlier about not wanting to appear mean-spirited toward
my former employer?  Oh well....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Now hear a plain fact: Swedenborg has not written one new truth: Now hear

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/05/88)

As I understand the issue:  Apple bought the CITI code (UMich).  Apple did
the TCP/IP, which may or may not contain CITI code.  Apple will supply the
TCP/IP layers, accessible via the standard MAC I/O interface (argument blocks
and O/S calls, but no socket library) to OEMs, who will re-sell it bundled
with add-ons and applications.  U-B has some sort of a deal whereby they
have gotten a head-start on supplying applications, possibly in return for
work on the TCP or IP.  Both Apple and U-B products were announced at the
Interop convention last week, but neither is shipping right now.  U-B beta
code, Brown TN3270 and NCSA were present, running on the Apple TCP/IP.  The
electronic mail center's MAC farm ran NCSA.

Disclaimer: I heard very little of this directly from Apple or U-B
spokespeople, so ask them before you go out on a limb...

jbvb

timk@NCSA.UIUC.EDU (Tim Krauskopf) (10/06/88)

MacTCP was not based on NCSA Telnet's TCP/IP.
NCSA Telnet never had system-level drivers which MacTCP has.

At Interop 88 we showed our NCSA Telnet running on top of the MacTCP
drivers and things were running very well.  We will be announcing
availability of this NCSA Telnet port as Apple announces availability of
MacTCP.  Don't ask for it from us(yet).

Tim Krauskopf                timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu (ARPA)

National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)