[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] MSNet SMB protocol - where can I get it?

mah@hpuviea.UUCP (Michael Haberler) (10/10/88)

I am looking for a specifcation of the Microsoft Net Server message block
protocol (which are the 'server' and 'redirector' layers on top of NetBIOS).

Any hints?

------------
Michael Haberler			mah@hpuviea.UUCP
Hewlett-Packard Austria GmbH, 		...mcvax!tuvie!hpuviea!mah
A-1220 Vienna, Austria			...hplabs!hpfcla!hpbbse!hpuviea!mah
(0043) (222) 2500 x412 (9-18 CET) 	michl@awiwuw11.bitnet
--

jac@UMD5.UMD.EDU ("Joseph A. Cimmino Jr.") (10/15/88)

> I am looking for a specifcation of the Microsoft Net Server message block
> protocol (which are the 'server' and 'redirector' layers on top of NetBIOS).

> Any hints?

Hint #1:  "IBM Personal Computer Seminar Proceedings", Volume 2, Number 8-1,
          May 1985, IBM Publication Number G320-9319, Topic: IBM PC Network
          SMB ( Server Message Block ) Protocol.

While a little dated, this describes the 1.0 dialect of SMB.  Others may be
able to provide newer references.  The PC and newer PS/2 Seminar Proceedings
are a treasure of information that often finds no other outlet.
------------------------------
Joseph A. Cimmino, Jr.    University of Maryland, Systems    jac@umd5.umd.edu
+1 301 454 2946                   PC/IP Group              cimminoj@umdd.bitnet

Bertolt Brecht:  You made your bed, so you lie in it.

waynec@microsoft.UUCP (Wayne Chapeskie) (10/20/88)

In article <8810141923.AA13743@umd5.UMD.EDU> jac@UMD5.UMD.EDU ("Joseph A. Cimmino Jr.") writes:
>> I am looking for a specifcation of the Microsoft Net Server message block
>> protocol (which are the 'server' and 'redirector' layers on top of NetBIOS).
>
>> Any hints?
>
>Hint #1:  "IBM Personal Computer Seminar Proceedings", Volume 2, Number 8-1,
>          May 1985, IBM Publication Number G320-9319, Topic: IBM PC Network
>          SMB ( Server Message Block ) Protocol.
>
>While a little dated, this describes the 1.0 dialect of SMB.  Others may be
>able to provide newer references.  The PC and newer PS/2 Seminar Proceedings

Specs for the original "core" SMB protocol and the Lan Manager "Extended SMB"
protocol can be obtained by writing to:
	Tom Gemell
	Microsoft Corporation
	16011 NE 36th Way
	Box 97017
	Redmond, Washington  98073-9717
Right from the horse's mouth, so to speak...