[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] File Transfer across Terminal Server

wdw@aucs.UUCP (Bill Wilder) (11/20/88)

We're using NCSA TELNET quite happily to connect to UNIX hosts. Recently
we acquired an Annex-II terminal server from Encore and some NCSA users
are now milking the server to connect to Hosts that do not support TCP/IP.

This type of connection is working fine as a straight terminal emulation
but the NCSA user has no means of transferring files to/from the host
other than capture mode.

Is anyone aware of an Ethernet access program for a PC that would
support async protocols such as Kermit or XMODEM so that we can
send/and receive from our out-of-date hosts? We'd prefer not to have to
place async connections into offices already served by Ethernet.

Thanks very much.

BEAME@SSCvax.McMaster.CA (11/24/88)

        The program BWKTEL from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd. provides
Kermit and Xmodem file transfer along with VT102/VT52 terminal emulation.

        - Carl Beame
          BEAME@MCMASTER.CA

snorthc@RELAY-NSWC.NAVY.MIL (11/28/88)

dalcs!aucs!wdw@uunet.uu.net writes:
> Is anone aware of an Ethernet access program for a PC that would
> support async protocols such as Kermit or XMODEM...

It is Monday morning after the holiday, I can't seem to shake all the
fuzzies, so I may not understand your question correctly but...

I have used the latest versions of PC Kermit (2.31) which is available
from Columbia for Kermit file transfers.  I have also used Kermit to
access ethernet connections.  How?

1.) NetBIOS/TCP (see I do use it!!!!) Kermit supports NetBIOS,
you use the Kermit Server and Remote commands to accomplish
all sorts of things(dir listings, remote deletes, types etc).

2.) Int 14H.  This implies the right FTP, one that supports this.  I
have sucessfully used INT14 with the Bridge supplied FTP and with
Sytek's.  This allows Kermit to be your interface for telnet.  I
have also done numerous file xfers using Kermit over telnet, but I
am told this is a bad idea.

If public domain, user supported software does not meet your needs,
I think there is a commercial package that does the Int14 stuff,
Reflection (I've never used it).

Good luck.