[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] RPC for the IBM PC

rcsmith@anagld.UUCP (Ray Smith) (11/17/88)

I am looking for information regarding the implementation of the Sun RPC
environment on IBM PC's.  I know of Sun's PC-NFS, which includes RPC
support, but I would like to find out if there are any other packages.

Also if you have any comments regarding PC-NFS from a programming
standpoint, I would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks in advance,
Ray
        Ray Smith         | ...!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!\
     Analytics, Inc.      |             ...!netsys!---anagld!rcsmith
        Suite 200         |             ...!ethos! /
 9891 Broken Land Parkway |
    Columbia, MD 21046    | Voice: (301) 381-4300         Fax: (301) 381-5173

golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) (11/23/88)

Applications built with the PC-NFS Toolkit will not work with Microsoft
Windows.  They both need the timer interrupt, and this causes problems.
Also, when PC-NFS is running, you cannot run COMMAND.COM or .BAT (batch)
files in a window or it will crash your PC.  PC-NFS also requires a large
amount of memory (>100K).  Sun knows about these problems and is
unresponsive.

I wrote a version of RPC which is not Sun compliant for an Excelan card
when I worked with MITRE.  I have talked with my former department head
there and it may be possible for MITRE to release this code under copyright.
He asked that I document it first, which I have not had time to do yet
(I am getting paid to do other things now...).  If there is a great demand
for a version of RPC which will not work with Sun, I might be persuaded to
do what needs to be done to make this stuff available.  I would be especially
motivated if someone agreed to make the changes needed to make it Sun
compliant, and to make that new version available.

Rich Goldschmidt
CCI Computers

uunet!rlgvax!golds
sun!sundc!rlgvax!golds (west coast)
rlgvax!golds@uunet.uu.net (ARPA)

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (11/30/88)

In article <1041@rlgvax.UUCP> golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) writes:
>Applications built with the PC-NFS Toolkit will not work with Microsoft
>Windows.  They both need the timer interrupt, and this causes problems.
>Also, when PC-NFS is running, you cannot run COMMAND.COM or .BAT (batch)
>files in a window or it will crash your PC.  PC-NFS also requires a large
>amount of memory (>100K).  Sun knows about these problems and is
>unresponsive.

A couple of comments. First, the amount of memory occupied by
PC-NFS is not generally ">100K": the size depends on the configuration
and Ethernet driver you choose. [For example, on my Wyse 386 with a 3C501,
PC-NFS and DOS together occupy less than 100% - see below.] The only
driver with a real memory problem is the 3C505, and that's because of
the amount of code needed to support co-residence with 3+....

Secondly, it's not clear exactly how responsive you expect us to be.
PC-NFS was designed to extremely tight memory occupancy requirements,
so that we could fit into DOS's 640K with large applications such as
AutoCAD, and in the process we elected to bind the TCP/UDP code
to the application rather than having it resident in memory.
Since the TCP code (obviously) needs timer services, and since
Windows breaks the old "DOS standard" way of doing this, we were
clearly faced with the need to redesign this area of the product
if we wanted to have Toolkit applications run under Windows.
If and when (note the careful disclaimer) we release a new Toolkit
which supports Windows, it will be beta tested and announced in
the usual way. Note that such a move is NOT a given, though: we have
to examine the tradeoffs very carefully, particularly if it means
that we'll occupy more memory.

If you feel that it's important to discuss this stuff, there's always
comp.protocols.nfs as well as this group. Plus I don't exactly
keep a low profile on the net :-)

As far as the bug in running a batch file from Windows is concerned,
I've logged it and we'll look at it. I have no record of a bug
report being filed on this, though, so I'm not sure who in Sun
"knows about these problems." Please follow up via email.

>I wrote a version of RPC which is not Sun compliant for an Excelan card
>when I worked with MITRE.  I have talked with my former department head
>there and it may be possible for MITRE to release this code under copyright.

Do you mean a distinct remote procedure call protocol (i.e. not RFC 1057)
or a version of Sun's RPC which is broken in some respect so that
it is no longer Sun compliant? There are actually a lot of ports of the
Sun public domain RPC source to PC TCP/IP toolkits, and some companies
are actually offering products based on such ports (and not on the
PC-NFS Programmer's Toolkit). That's what it's there for.

>He asked that I document it first, which I have not had time to do yet
>(I am getting paid to do other things now...).  If there is a great demand
>for a version of RPC which will not work with Sun, I might be persuaded to
>do what needs to be done to make this stuff available.

Now I'm really confused. If it's a version of Sun's RPC (RFC 1057), why
would anyone want a non-interoperable version? If it's original work,
presumably it needs to get ported to a variety of platforms (including
Sun's) to be useful to anyone.

> I would be especially
>motivated if someone agreed to make the changes needed to make it Sun
>compliant, and to make that new version available.

Still confused.

Geoff
Output from RYBS "sysmap/v":

Allocated Memory Map - by RYBS Electronics Inc.              (verbose)

 PSP  MCB files bytes owner    command line  hooked vectors
---- ---- ----- ----- -------- ------------- -----------------------------
0008 09F1   0   94096 config
20EC 20EB   1    3120 command  /v            22 24 2E
20EC 21AF   1    2048 command  /v
2367 2230   1     336 free     /v
2247 2246   1    4592 N/A      *             09 17 28
2367 2366   1  510352 free                   00 23 30 CE D4 D9 DF F2 FB
                                             FC FE

Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.  +--------------------------------------+
PC Dist. Sys. Group (home of PC-NFS) |When you're fresh out of lawyers, you |
UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl...}!sun!garnold |don't know how good it's going to feel|
ARPA: garnold@sun.com                +--------------------------------------+

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (12/03/88)

In article <410@eagle_snax.UUCP>, geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) writes:
| There are actually a lot of ports of the
| Sun public domain RPC source to PC TCP/IP toolkits, and some companies
| are actually offering products based on such ports (and not on the
| PC-NFS Programmer's Toolkit). That's what it's there for.

	Where can one get Sun public domain RPC sources?  All versions
that I have seen are copyrighted by Sun with various (though minor)
distribution restrictions.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*

boyter@bimbo.UUCP (Maj Brian Boyter) (12/03/88)

In article <410@eagle_snax.UUCP>, geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) writes:
> In article <1041@rlgvax.UUCP> golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) writes:
> >PC-NFS also requires a large
> >amount of memory (>100K).  Sun knows about these problems and is
> >unresponsive.

Let me start off by saying that I am a very satisfied customer of PC-NFS....
However, I also noticed some definite memory shortages at our site....

In particular, using an AT with a 3C503 card, PC-NFS, and PROTEC (a security
package required at our site), the PC-LIFELINE (from SUN) will not run....

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901                         __
   off: (804)980-7362                              (    )
   home:     973-9440                             {      }
   boyter%bimbo.uucp@virginia.acc.virginia.edu     (    )
   Nuke'm 'till they glow                            ||
   ...Then shoot'm in the dark              ________<  >_______