jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/10/88)

   Date: 8 Dec 88 16:30:27 GMT
   From: James L Fox <pitt!cisunx!jlfox@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu>

   What is the best way to approach the problem of
   getting "A" unix(ultrix) mailer to broadcast a
   notification of the arrival new internet mail to the
   screens of specific PCs [and MACs] on ether with NCSA
   telnet installed.  Note, I said installed, not necessarily
   running...

   Jim Fox

What you need here is a DOS/MAC TCP/IP which is resident (like part
of the OS), not transient (like NCSA, KA9Q or PCIP).  We have done
this with our 2.0 release (but no joy on the MAC).  Stanford has
said in the past that they were working on a TSR TCP/IP for DOS,
but I don't know if they have finished it (you're non-commercial,
so you can use theirs).

When we first released PC/TCP v2.0, I did a little TSR using our asynch
notification facilities.  It sits there and waits for datagrams, when it
gets them it writes the text contents to line 25 of the display (direct write
to screen memory).  This will be in the next release of our Dev Kit as an
example program.

Doing something like this with a resident MAC TCP/IP should be pretty
easy, but NCSA is monolithic (nobody is listening if the application
isn't running, and only one application can run at a time).

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

maas@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (andy maas) (12/10/88)

>   Date: 8 Dec 88 16:30:27 GMT
>   From: James L Fox <pitt!cisunx!jlfox@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu>
>
>   What is the best way to approach the problem of
>   getting "A" unix(ultrix) mailer to broadcast a
>   notification of the arrival new internet mail to the
>   screens of specific PCs [and MACs] on ether with NCSA
>   telnet installed.  Note, I said installed, not necessarily
>   running...
>
>   Jim Fox
>
>What you need here is a DOS/MAC TCP/IP which is resident (like part
>of the OS), not transient (like NCSA, KA9Q or PCIP).  We have done
>this with our 2.0 release (but no joy on the MAC).  Stanford has
>said in the past that they were working on a TSR TCP/IP for DOS,
>but I don't know if they have finished it (you're non-commercial,
>so you can use theirs).

Yes, Stanford PCIP release 3.0 has TSR TCP/IP for DOS.
Send request to pcip@jessica.stanford.edu.

Andy

Here is some information about SU-PCIP3.0
----

Stanford University - Personal Computer/Internet Protocol (SU-PC/IP)

                  Version 3.0 (currently available)

SU-PC/IP Version 3.0 provides six applications for IBM PCs, PC/XTs,
PS/2 50s, 60s, and 80s, or certain personal computers compatible*
with IBM PCs.  [Compatibility requirements: PC DOS or MS DOS 3.0 or
higher; at least 280 KB of memory; ability to accomodate a 3Com
network (EtherLink) board (3C501, 3C503, or 3C523 for PS/2 50, 60,
and 80) or a Western Digital 8003E Ethernet adapter.]

TELNET allows you to use your PC as a VT100 terminal for a host
computer.

File Transfer Protocol (FTP) allows you to transfer files very
rapidly between a host computer and your PC.

Mail Handler (MH) is an electronic mail system for workstations.

The WHOIS service provides an online directory of people and host
computers.

The FINGER service provides information
about users with accounts on hosts that support FINGER service.

The LPR application allows you to print DOS files.

All the above applications, except MH, are on SU-PC/IP disk #1.  MH is
on disk #2.  Disk #3 is required only for PCs connected to AppleTalk
networks.  Both 5-1/4-inch and 3-1/2-inch disks are available.

                    Version 3.1 Changes in SU-PC/IP

                         (available early 1989)

1. Customization and installation have been simplified.

2. IBM 3270 terminal emulation is an added option.

3. Users can now retrieve all new messages and simultaneously delete
   them from the POP server.  Users can also find out how many new
   messages are waiting in their POP server mailboxes and the size of
   those mailboxes.

4. Stanford students can update their own information in the WHOIS
   data base.

5. The PING and Netwatch applications have been restored:
   PING Service allows you to find out whether or not a host computer is
   working.  Netwatch allows network administrators to monitor network
   traffic.

6. The division of applications on the disks has changed:
   TELNET, FTP, WHOIS, FINGER, and LPR are on disk #1.  MH functions are
   on disks #2 and #3.  Disk #3 also contains files for PCs connected to
   AppleTalk networks.  (As with 3.0, both 5-1/4-inch and 3-1/2-inch
   disks are available.)

brad%cayman@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (Brad Parker) (12/12/88)

I wrote something like this for the mac a long time ago (it was posted
ages ago also). It used CAP 4.0 and scanned the mail spool directory.
It's called "mailflag".

It uses a simple atp protocol to send the first few lines of the the
mail and pops a dialog box up on your screen - it has command line
version which sends messages to people in the same way.

I can't support it, but will send out the shars if you want to try it.
I had planned to bring it up under lightspeed C and CAP 5.0, but have
had no time.

it also supports an version of "macput" which is 2-3 times faster than
a 9600 baud serial link... (this was way before I even conceived of
the GatorBox ;-)

-brad