[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA and KA9Q ??

zink@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (William T. Zink) (11/16/88)

 I am relatively new to the world of TCP-IP and am trying to learn
as much as I can, as I will soon have to set up several new
networks. I have been hearing (reading) references to NCSA and KA9Q
on this group, and was wondering just what they are. I assume they
are TCP-IP implementations, but I would like to know more, like where
they are sold, and what are their strengths/weaknesses. Thank you in
advance for any information you can supply.

timk@NCSA.UIUC.EDU (Tim Krauskopf) (11/17/88)

Repeat posting to answer query about "what is NCSA Telnet?".
The next version is scheduled for 1Q '89.

NCSA Telnet version 2.2 release notice (July 5, 1988)

NCSA Telnet is a combined telnet client and FTP server program for
Macintosh and MS-DOS PCs.  It emphasizes a convenient, powerful
user interface and can be configured to match the characteristics
of your TCP/IP hosts.  We have included support for a wide variety of
Ethernet options.  Complete user documentation is available; printed,
or in Macintosh Microsoft Word format files.

NCSA Telnet is available via anonymous FTP or by placing an order, see
appended message.

We hope you enjoy using our program.

Tim Krauskopf                timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu (ARPA)
Gaige B. Paulsen             gaige@ncsa.uiuc.edu

National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)

Please distribute the following notice to anyone who is interested:

NCSA Telnet Information				July 5, 1988

NCSA Telnet is now in the public domain.

Features included in version 2.2 of NCSA Telnet:
(* means new in version 2.2)

DARPA standard telnet
Built-in standard FTP server for file transfer
VT102 emulation in multiple, simultaneous sessions
Full subnetting support
Tektronix 4014 graphics emulation
Scrollback for each session
Domain name lookup with default domain suffix
*RARP for dynamic IP address assignment
Full color support (PC and *Macintosh II)
*Font and size support (Macintosh)
*MacBinary FTP transfer (Macintosh)
*New Ethernet board support (PC, PS/2)

How to obtain a copy:

1) From a friend

The documentation, program and source code are now in the public domain.
Copy, modify, distribute and be happy.

2) Anonymous FTP from   ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu   (128.174.20.50)

You may want to ftp the README file(s) to determine which files to transfer to
your home machine.

For the PC version, you have your choice of tar files which contain the
documentation, the programs and supporting files.  For each tar file, there is
also a compressed tar file with the same contents. After the files are
extracted from the tar file, some transfer method (e.g. kermit, NCSA Telnet)
should be used to download the files to the PC.  The documentation is
available in line printer format and Macintosh Microsoft Word format.
Remember to download .EXE files in binary mode.

The Macintosh version consists of several files encoded with Stuff-It.   The
BinHex (.HQX) version is a duplicate copy for those who need a non-binary
distribution.  Download the selections you need with a binary transfer method
(kermit, NCSA Telnet) and extract the individual files.  The documentation is
in Microsoft Word 3.X format.

 3) Diskette or Tape

 On-disk copies and printed manuals are available for a small fee which covers
 materials, handling and postage.   The anonymous FTP tape covers the contents
 of all disks.  Orders can only be accepted if accompanied by a check in U.S.
 dollars made out to the University of Illinois.  You can get an order form by
 contacting:

 NCSA Telnet orders
 152 Computing Applications Building
 605 E. Springfield Ave.
 Champaign, IL 61820

 Hardware required:

 PC: 	IBM PC, PC/XT, PC/AT, or compatible.
	3COM 3C501 Etherlink board.
	or IBM RT PC Baseband adapter.
	or Ungermann-Bass PC-NIC board.
	or MICOM NI5210 Ethernet board.
	or Western Digital WD8003E board.

 PS/2: 	IBM PS/2, models with MCA.
	3Com 3C523 Etherlink/MC board.
	or Ungermann-Bass NICps/2 board.

 Mac: 	Macintosh Plus, SE or Macintosh II.
	FastPath from Kinetics Inc.  Walnut Creek, CA   (415) 947-0998 and
		Kinetics gateway software or Stanford KIP (Croft) gateway
		software.
	or
	EtherTalk software, combined with any of the following hardware:
		EtherSC or Etherport SE or Etherport II from Kinetics.
		EtherTalk board from Apple Computer, Inc.
		Etherlink/NB (3C543) from 3Com Corporation.
		alternate EtherTalk compatible systems for the Macintosh.

EtherTalk software drivers are generally bundled with the hardware.

In additions to PC models, the PS/2 models are supported by
NCSA Telnet for the PC.
All of the supported Macintosh models require
NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh.

 Electronic Mailing List:

 Mail to telnet-request@ncsa.uiuc.edu to be added to the list of recipients.
 To post messages to the list, mail to telnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu.

A2BS@PSUORVM.BITNET (Bob Schneider) (11/23/88)

Is anyone aware of any Telnet 3270 emulators?

Also are there any that will work through a Novell TCP/IP gateway?

latzko@zydeco.rutgers.edu (Alexander Latzko) (11/24/88)

In article <8811211341.aa04222@Louie.UDEL.EDU> A2BS@PSUORVM.BITNET (Bob Schneider) writes:

> Is anyone aware of any Telnet 3270 emulators?
>
> Also are there any that will work through a Novell TCP/IP gateway?
As far as I know there are three 3270 pc based emulators:
	1> IBM PC-TCP v1.1 from IBM commercial
	2> Cornell Univ v? from Cornell
	3> FTP Inc PCTCP V2.0 from FTP software.

I have used the FTP and IBM versions.  They both work under FAL
although the IBM version doesn't work under the UCLA/MVS TCP which the
FTP product does.

As far as working through a Novell TCP/IP gateway, I have no idea.  I
think the Micom/Interlan telnet package which comes with the gateway
is  based on the FTP stuff so it will probably have tn3270 ( at least
the packet driver based package Micom/Interlan distributes is ).

/S*
latzko@rutgers.edu
{backbone}!rutgers!latzko

ps. I don't get a kickback from either IBM or FTP inc.

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/03/88)

The Novell TCP/IP gateway does not use TCP/IP between the workstation
and the server, and the InterLAN 'telnet' that comes with it has none
of our stuff in it.  Thus, while you possibly could develop something
which gave access to 3270-over-telnet from a workstation, it might
well require significant enhancement to the underlying Netware protocol
they use.

The Packet Driver based version InterLAN distributes does indeed have
our TN3270 in it, but this doesn't use the server gateway.

jbvb

dcrocker@TWG.COM (Dave Crocker) (12/03/88)

The Novell-related product, cited by James Van Bokkelen, is produced by
Micom/Interlan.  It is not the only solution to the problem of connecting
Novell users from their proprietary network onto an Ethernet.

Wollongong has a product which accomplishes this task, using a very different
approach:

Each user's PC becomes a full-fledged IP host.  (Its own IP address, the
ability to act as client and/or server, etc.)  The proprietary network is
then attached via our DOS-based IP router product; it is nothing more than
an IP router.  The wrinkle that makes this work is that the router and the
user's pc communicate over Netbios datagrams or, in the case of Novell's
Netware, over IPX, their network datagram protocol.  That is, IP is
encapsulated.

The current release of WIN/TCP for DOS has an "up-call" programmatic
interface.  The version entering beta test has a Berkeley sockets
emulation.

Dave Crocker
VP, Engineering
The Wollongong Group

Just to stir this subject header back to life...

I've just finished porting KA9Q v871225.31 to the Atari ST (running TOS,
though ST-Minix seems a possibility.) Since I currently don't have an
ethernet board on my ST, I haven't tried to write any support there just
yet...

Basically everything is serial I/O at this point. The package supports
SLIP and SLFP, as well as the assortment of amateur radio protocols. The
serial port can be run up to 19.2Kbps (typical, eh?), and the MIDI port
can be used at up to 38.4Kbps.

In the works still is support for the bi-directional Centronics port,
which should run in excess of 750KBps. I'm still hedging on this because
it only seems to be good for connecting two STs together...

(I've been using it solely with SLFP, dialing up Merit to get outside...)

Now that this is done, I expect to port Phil's multitasking version next,
although the NCSA telnet package sounds pretty interesting. I wasn't aware
that the sources were publically available before. As soon as I get my hands
on an ethernet board, I'll have that going...

I dunno how much interest there is in this group, since it seems to be
devoted to IBMPC hardware/DOS software, though TOS isn't too far from DOS...
But it seems to be the only group discussing TCP/IP on  micros, thus
this posting...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

snorthc@RELAY-NSWC.NAVY.MIL (12/05/88)

This is in reply to Dave Crocker's note on Novell and IP.  The problem
we face is:
Islands of Novell lans,
TCP backbones,
the Novell islands want to interoperate with each other.

The Micom/Interlan product will not accomplish this.  I caught the
statement "That is, IP is encpasulated." in Mr. Crocker's reply.
What I need to do is encpasulate the Novell IPX in TCP
packets.  That way, the Novell Islands could interoperate and
use the TCP backbone to link.  Is there any way to do this?

The only idea I have is to purchase the asynch bridges from novell,
connect then into the serial side of a TCP milking machine such as
a 3Com(Bridge) CS/100 which could establish a telnet session.  Then
if we hold our mouths just right perhaps we would have a way of
encapsulating IPX in TCP.  Kludgy, expensive, to be sure.

Novell lan<->asynch<->CS/100<->telnet<->CS/100<->asynch<->Novell lan

What is the right way to solve this problem?

Stephen Northcutt (snorthc@relay-nswc.navy.mil)
(703) 663-7796
If nothing else... OSI will user in the era of the smart card.

acm@RELAY.PROTEON.COM (12/07/88)

Steve,
The newly announced Proteon p4100 router (or the p4200 router) with the IPX
packet forwarder allows you to run tcp/ip or Novell (and under the correct
driver revisions for Novell) to run concurrent Novell/TCP/IP packets
throughout an internet.  This gives you what I believe you are asking for.

In addition you can run DECNET and XNS in the entire net if you have
installed the approriate packet forwarders.

The contact at Proteon is mcs@proteon.com (Mick Scully).  He is much more
knowlegable on it than I.

     -Al Marshall, Proteon
-------------
[...]

philipp@PHYSICSA.MCGILL.CA (Philip Prindeville Comp Ctr) (12/09/88)

You don't want to encapsulate IPX *packets* in a TCP
*stream* because you will loose your record boundaries.
You probably want to use UDP or (better yet) IP...

As for your situation, we have the opposite problem
here are McGill.  An IP backbone, with scatterings of
netware PCs that need to reach IP hosts.  So, we
encapsulate our IP in IPX and send it over our LAN
to the gateway...  In your case, the solution would
be the same, only backwards.  You would still need
a dedicated PC running KA9Q (which we used) or the
Tom Anderson PC/IP (has anyone used it)?

In any case, it calls for a homebrew solution (the
Best Kind).

-Philip

dcrocker@TWG.COM (Dave Crocker) (12/11/88)

I asked Leo McLaughlin, our Project Leader for WIN/TCP for DOS, about
IPX over IP (as opposed to the IP over IPX that we currently do).

Turns out that this was already being explored.  Or, one might say that it
was already on the product "wish" list.

So, snorthc, how many do you want to buy?...

Dave

snorthc@RELAY-NSWC.NAVY.MIL (12/12/88)

> [IPX over IP] already on the product "wish" list.
>
> So, snorthc, how many do you want to buy?...

Stephen Northcutt does not have the authority or propensity to commit
the gov't to buy anything!  However, I do know of several Novell sites
at this base that would like to use such a capability.

I think we would be interested in working with you from the early days
of the project if you are serious (what preceeds alpha testing?).

In the meantime, I expect we will proceed with testing the original
kludge idea based on a CS/100 and Novell asynch bridges.

Please keep in touch if your "wish" list takes form,

Stephen Northcutt
(snorthc@relay-nswc.nay.mil)

Don't bogart that token my peer, pass it over to me...