[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ethernet card portability

deborah@CITI.UMICH.EDU (Deborah Swanberg) (12/07/88)

From discussion here, I've gotten the impression that ethernet
cards operate across machines, but I just want to verify it.

Do PC ethernet cards operate across machines, eg. does the
WD8003E, or 3C503 operate on the PCs, PC/XT, PC/AT and the
PS/2 30 and PS/2 30 286?  The question also applies to the
cards for the MCA across the PS/2 50 and 80.

Deborah Swanberg

Center for Information Technology Integration (CITI)
University of Michigan
313-763-7479

deborah@citi.umich.edu

Andrew_Palms@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (12/08/88)

Definitely yes.

andy

Andrew_Palms@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (12/08/88)

... added to the previous response.

The boards work in machines with a similar bus, but you do
need to make sure that the ENet board can handle the clock
speed of the system units bus which isn't always the same as
the clock speed of the CPU.

andy

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/08/88)

In general, a PC-bus (8-bit slot) card will run in all machines.  A 16-bit
slot card usually requires an AT (but 3Com's 3C505 will go 16-bit on an AT,
but runs in an 8-bit slot on PCs).

There are two classes of potential problems:  Some cards aren't fast enough
to deal with fast (>6Mhz) busses.  Early U-B NIC cards were this way, but
they've fixed it.  Another problem is drivers that contain timing loops on
very fast processors (regardless of bus speed).  There are a few cards out
there (usually with on-board processors) which require waits in the driver
that can't be done with clock interrupts (they take too long and the card
times out).  This problem may be software-vendor-dependent, too.

The 3C503 and the WD8003 should work in all the machines you mention.  One
of the advantages of the MCA bus is that it is supposed to be sufficiently
well specified that the clock rate problems I mention above can't happen,
but you can still get the timing loop problem....

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

lim@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Hock Koon Lim) (12/08/88)

In article <8812062152.af22648@Obelix.TWG.COM> deborah@CITI.UMICH.EDU (Deborah Swanberg) writes:

>From discussion here, I've gotten the impression that ethernet
>cards operate across machines, but I just want to verify it.
>
>Do PC ethernet cards operate across machines, eg. does the
>WD8003E, or 3C503 operate on the PCs, PC/XT, PC/AT and the
>PS/2 30 and PS/2 30 286?  The question also applies to the
>cards for the MCA across the PS/2 50 and 80.

  Yes, PC ethernet cards operate across machines for the same bus
architecture.  eg.  3c503 can be used in IBM PCs, HP Vectra, PS2/30 etc.
and 3C523 can be used in IBM PS2/50 -> 80.

Hock Koon Lim, A. R. Jennings Computing Center
Case Western Reserve University; Cleveland, Ohio, USA  44106
(216) 368-2982        lim@cwlim.cwru.edu

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/13/88)

Also note that certain Zenith systems have nonstandard PC bus slots that
will blow certain MICOM Ethernet cards.  Zenith has been very good about
resolving this problem.

-Ron