[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Vianet, can it support TCP/IP ????

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) (12/16/88)

	I was wondering if the network called Vianet would support TCP/IP,
I know of a couple of sites in my area that would like to someday like to
eventually hook into internet and have the use of Telnet and FTP.

--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/17/88)

Vianet is a LAN O/S sold by Western Digital.  As such, it is sold with
the WD8003 family of hardware.  Many people have support for some or
all of those cards, with direct-to-hardware drivers (which would require
re-booting to switch from Vianet to TCP/IP or vice versa).

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

dougm@ico.ISC.COM (Doug McCallum) (12/17/88)

In article <58@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg Thompson) writes:

>	I was wondering if the network called Vianet would support TCP/IP,
>I know of a couple of sites in my area that would like to someday like to
>eventually hook into internet and have the use of Telnet and FTP.

Vianet is not TCP/IP based.  It is a sort of XNS derivative protocol although
not XNS compatible.  The closest you could get would be to swap out with
a TCP/IP implementation by rebooting when necessary or use something like
Western Digital's UNIX based implementation where TCP/IP could be running
in parallel to Vianet and have the DOS users connect to it to get TCP/IP
access.

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (12/20/88)

Western Digital's Vianet supports a NetBIOS interface.  Assuming that
it is reasonably IBM-compatible, use of Wollongong's NetBIOS driver
will allow simultaneous use of LAN and TCP/IP applications
(e.g. ftp> get remotefile.tcpip m:).

leo j mclaughlin iii
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com