[net.micro] Kermit, RBBS-PC info; new RBBS

lindley@ut-ngp.UUCP (John L. Templer) (02/24/85)

Some people have requested where to get communication software such
a Kermit and RBBS, so I though I would put in my two cents.  First:
> From maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag)
> Where can I get kermit for an IBM XT?  Also, will kermit work through
> the Sytek Net?
>
> 		Thanks

The following is condensed (somewhat) from the Kermit User's Guide:
Ordering Information

The KERMIT software is free and available to all.  Columbia University,
however, cannot afford to distribute free software on the scale
required for KERMIT.  Therefore, to defray our costs for media,
printing, postage, materials, labor, and computing resources, we must
request a moderate distribution fee from sites that request KERMIT
directly from Columbia.  The schedule is as follows:
    Complete KERMIT Distribution            $100.00
       (Tape, Users Guide, and Protocol Manual)
    Printed Documents                       $5.00 each
       (Users Guide, Protocol Manual, or Any Source Listing)
To order KERMIT from Columbia University, send a letter requesting either:
 (a)  The manuals or source listings you desire (specify each one), or
 (b)  A 9-track magnetic tape in one of the following formats:
      System            Tape Format                     Densities
      TOPS-10           BACKUP/Interchange, Unlabeled    800, 1600
      TOPS-20           DUMPER, Unlabeled                800, 1600
      IBM VM/CMS        EBCDIC, CMS Format              1600, 6250
                           or EBCDIC, OS Standard Label 1600, 6250
      Other             ASCII, ANSI Label, Format ``D''  800, 1600
      (Specify system, format, and density.)  One copy of each manual will be
      included with the tape.  We will supply the tape, packaging, and postage.
Send your letter to:

    KERMIT Distribution
    Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
    7th Floor, Watson Laboratory
    612 West 115th Street
    New York, N.Y.  10025

Please list the machines and operating systems you expect to run
KERMIT on, specify the tape format or the listings desired, and
mention whether there are additional systems for which you require
KERMIT or if you might be interested in attempting your own
implementation for a new system.  Make checks payable to Columbia
University Center for Computing Activities.

KERMIT is available to users of the BITNET network via a server at host
CUVMA.  BITNET users may type ``SMSG RSCS MSG CUVMA KERMSRV HELP'' for
further information.  KERMIT is also available to users of ARPANET, via
anonymous FTP from host COLUMBIA-20, in the area PS:<KERMIT>.  And
KERMIT is distributed regularly by various computer user groups such as
DECUS and SHARE.
Also, you probably can get a copy of Kermit on a floppy from any local
university, user's group, or RBBS (see end of article).

Next:
> From: jeffg@tekcbi.UUCP (Jeff Glover)
>
> A few questions please:
>
> 3. Also, has anybody brought RBBS-PC up on an IBM-PC/AT?
> 4. If the answer to (3) is yes, then can they send me the source
>    over the net?  Or perhaps mail me an address & phone number of
>    where I can get it?

I don't have the info handy, but there is an address where you can write
to get a copy of RBBS-PC.  And yes, we have RBBS working on an IBM AT.
We didn't have to make any changes; it ran straight out of the box.

And finally, I would like to take this opportunity to announce a new
RBBS, which has dozens of public domain programs available, including
Kermit and RBBS-PC.  It's called "Confusion Research", and is LOOSELY
associated with the physics department of the University of Texas at
Austin.  The number is (512)-471-5167.  The board is up 24 hours a day,
seven days a week.
--

                                           John L. Templer
                                     University of Texas at Austin

    {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley

                 "Gongo Bunnies movin' in,