[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] MIT Netwatch

Seto@UNCAMULT.BITNET (Tom Seto) (01/04/89)

Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of MIT's Netwatch?  I
have been trying without any success in getting a copy of this software.
I need information on how to get it, cost, what cards in runs on, how
much cpu and memory is required (8086, 286 or 386?).  We don't have
anonymous ftp, only BITNET.  Does anyone have anything else they are
using for LAN monitoring that they are having getting good results from.
Thanks in advance.
          Tom Seto
          Dept of ACS
          University of Calgary
          ph 403 220 6717

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (01/04/89)

>Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of MIT's Netwatch?  I
>have been trying without any success in getting a copy of this software.
>I need information on how to get it, cost, what cards in runs on, how
>much cpu and memory is required (8086, 286 or 386?).  We don't have
>anonymous ftp, only BITNET.

>Does anyone have anything else they are
>using for LAN monitoring that they are having getting good results from.
>Thanks in advance.

If you have the ~$15,000 to spend, the Network General Sniffer is a
very nice LAN monitor.  I've used it on occasion, and been most pleased.

Otherwise, I would strongly recommend buying a sophisticated software
package in the $1,000 range such as FTP Software's LANWatch or Wollongong's
WIN/WATCH.  Both provide protocol interpretation, filtering, and logging
capabilities far superior to the original MIT Netwatch.

FTP software supports the 3c500, 3c503, 3c505, 3c523, WD Star/Ether Card
PLUS, NI5010, NI5210, BICC4110, Proteon p1300 and p1344, UB-NIC,
Excelan 205/205T, and Banyan hardware interfaces.

Wollongong supports the 3c500, 3c503, 3c505, 3c523, WD Star/Ether Card PLUS,
NI5010, BICC4110, and Proteon p1300 hardware interfaces.

(My experience has shown the 3c503 or 3c523 interfaces to be superior.)

For more information contact:
FTP Software, Inc.    (617) 868-4878 and
The Wollongong Group  (415) 962-7100.

leo j mclaughlin iii
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (01/05/89)

Per the "TCP/IP Implementations and Vendors Guide" of 2/88:

The CMU and Harvard improvements on PC-IP seem to be only available via
anonymous FTP.   If you can't use that, you need to order the MIT source
tape from:

	M.I.T. Microcomputer Center
	Room 11-209
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA  02139
	(617) 253-6325

One should also mention Excelan's "LANAlyzer", a hardware-based network
monitor which is available in several forms (completely assembled for 15K or
so, or 7K for you-supply-the-Compaq).

This is the current list of supported hardware for LANWatch:

Non-Ethernet:  Proteon P1300 (ProNET-10) and P1344 (802.5 Token Ring)

Ethernet:  3Com 3C500 and 3C523 (3C503 and 3C505 in progress), InterLAN
NI5010 and NI5210 (NI9210 in progress), BICC 4110, Excelan EXOS205,
Western Digital WD8003 (and family).

We expect to release LANWatch for a couple of other cards this quarter:
Nat. Semi. DP839EB (Novell NE2000, D-Link & other derivatives), Intel
PC-586E (another demo board).

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (01/06/89)

In article <890103211956.252496@UNCAMULT.BITNET> Seto@UNCAMULT.BITNET (Tom Seto) writes:

>Hello.  Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of MIT's Netwatch?  I
>have been trying without any success in getting a copy of this software.

	MIT's Netwatch is part of the IBM TCP/IP offering for the PC
which is part of the 5798-FAL product: TCP/IP for VM/CMS. I am not sure
if IBM markets its PC implementation separately. If your university has
the VM product, you should also have the PC version.
	I have used this Netwatch and it is OK. I wouldn't pay money for
it, but as a part of a bigger product it is good to have.
--
Indra K. Singhal                      |  It's much easier to ride      |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |                    the horse   |