[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] netbios over tcp-ip

ddk@beta.lanl.gov (David D Kaas) (01/28/89)

	We currently have a very large lan based on Ungermann-Bass
hardware/software with netbios/msnet over xns.  We have over 3000
IBM PCs, network file servers, and serveral network based prgrams,
mail, spreadsheets...  We have put some UNIX workstations on the
network that run TCP-IP.  We are looking at hardware/software to
run MSDOS programs under UNIX.  Are there any hardware/software
systems available to allow connections between these protocols?
Any boards to insert in a UNIX workstation or IBM PC/AT/2 that
will run both protocols?
Thanks ahead for any help..

	Dave Kaas
	Boeing Computer Services Richland
	D. O. E. Richland, WA
	BOX 300 m/s a1-05
	RICHLAND, WA 99352

	(509) 376-6386

	E41126%RLVAX3.XNET@LANL.GOV
	OR
	ddk@beta.lanl.gov

--
Dave Kaas - D.O.E. Richland, Wa.
	e41126%rlvax3.xnet@lanl.gov

deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) (01/29/89)

Check with Excelan. I seem to recall the company having a
NETBIOS - TCP/IP product.

-Dean
{rutgers, uwvax} uwmcsd1!lakesys!deanr

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (01/31/89)

In article <328@lakesys.UUCP> deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) writes:
>Check with Excelan. I seem to recall the company having a
>NETBIOS - TCP/IP product.

Yes, they do, as do Ungermann-Bass, Bridge Communications (oops, that's 3Com
now), and others.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                        bc@halley.UUCP
(512) 244-8350                    ..!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!halley!bc

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/01/89)

PC DOS emulation on UNIX machines generally comes in two flavors.  Flavor
number one is a board that has an 80X86 on it that you stuff in your whatever
computer (for example the SUN Integrated Personal Computer) that runs your
DOS applications for you.  Flavor number two is that if you happen to be
running UNIX on a 80386, then you are probably running Interactive Systems
port of UNIX (386/ix, though it may have someone elses name on it).  The
80386 has enough smarts to run virtual 8086s in user mode so it's just
a matter of software.  386/ix has this thing with the Phoenix BIOS that
runs DOS applications under UNIX via this method.

As for the XNS stuff.  My condolences.  SUN probably makes a package
that might work.  You could try to start using TCP on your PC's :-)

jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen) (02/07/89)

In article <23313@beta.lanl.gov> ddk@beta.lanl.gov (David D Kaas) writes:
|>Are there any hardware/software
|>systems available to allow connections between these protocols?
|>Any boards to insert in a UNIX workstation or IBM PC/AT/2 that
|>will run both protocols?

I have a 3C505 with NRC's dual protocol software here but haven't loaded
it up to try it. It supposedly allows both protocols to exist on the same
board at the same time.

--
John Pedersen, Project Leader       N5DKQ     NCR Engineering & Manufacturing
Engineering Computer Support Services         3718 N. Rock Road