[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Novell and TCP/IP integration

haho@huldra.UUCP (05/05/89)

I wonder if there is anybody who can help us with the following:

We wish to transform 3 NOVELL nets and 1 Ethernet backbone with TCP + Unix
hosts into ONE logical net!  Although we will probably have to compromise
somewhere, we would like the following:

	o  Full FTP both ways (simultaneous sessions).
	o  Telnet from PC's on the PC-net to Unix hosts, with vt100-
	   emulation.  At least 10 simultaneous sessions.
	o  SMTP both ways (i.e. SMTP server also on PC-net server).
	   However, we could accept PC-users having to check their mail
	   box on a Unix host.
	o  r-commands on the PC's.
	o  We would *like* to interface Unix hosts' lp-systems to spool
	   queues on the Novell servers (i.e. lp over TCP/IP).

Cards used:

Net 1:   Server - PCNIC + 2xNP600.   PC's - PCNIC
Net 2:   Server - NP600 + 2x3C505.   PC's - NE1000
Net 3:   Server - NE1000 + 3COM+.    PC's - NE1000

Possible solutions we know about already (but haven't yet tested):

Wollongong WIN/TCP & WIN/ROUTE.
Netware TCP/IP Option (MICOM-INTERLAN).

I have heard that there is some public domain software somewhere around,
but don't know where.  We can accept alternative solutions if we can
realize the above requirements. Although we would like to change out as
little hardware as possible, we are prepared to change out the network
cards if it will help us to realise our goal.

Maybe all of this is just wishful thinking.
Please mail me directly as i am not a regular reader of this list.

Stephen Faulkner

+--------------------------------+
| Stephen Faulkner               |
| Tandberg Data A/S              |
| P.O. Box 9, KORSVOLL,		 |
| N-0808 OSLO 8			 |
| NORWAY			 |
|				 |
| Phone: +47 2 18 90 90		 |
| Fax:   +47 2 18 95 50		 |
|				 |
| uucp: mcvax!ndosl!huldra!stfa	 |
+--------------------------------+

DOBEIRNE@IRLEARN.BITNET (Dermot O'Beirne) (05/11/89)

>I wonder if there is anybody who can help us with the following:
>
>We wish to transform 3 NOVELL nets and 1 Ethernet backbone with TCP + Unix
>hosts into ONE logical net!  Although we will probably have to compromise
>somewhere, we would like the following:
>
>    o  Full FTP both ways (simultaneous sessions).
>    o  Telnet from PC's on the PC-net to Unix hosts, with vt100-
>       emulation.  At least 10 simultaneous sessions.
>    o  SMTP both ways (i.e. SMTP server also on PC-net server).
>       However, we could accept PC-users having to check their mail
>       box on a Unix host.
>    o  r-commands on the PC's.
>    o  We would *like* to interface Unix hosts' lp-systems to spool
>       queues on the Novell servers (i.e. lp over TCP/IP).
>
>Cards used:
>
>Net 1:   Server - PCNIC + 2xNP600.   PC's - PCNIC
>Net 2:   Server - NP600 + 2x3C505.   PC's - NE1000
>Net 3:   Server - NE1000 + 3COM+.    PC's - NE1000
>
>Possible solutions we know about already (but haven't yet tested):
>
>Wollongong WIN/TCP & WIN/ROUTE.
I have tried this and it has some benefits with respect to routing etc. If
you are not looking for tn3270 then it might do you well. It also has a
very Unixy feel to it and includes a good mail-smtp interface. Requires
Netbios to run but comes with all the drivers for the supported hardware
so you dont need to specify the hardware at the outset. Wollongong are
apparently committed to supporting the packet driver which is good. If your
workstations are mostly ME1000 cards Wollongong have a nice co-exsit capable
driver for that card which is worth considering.
>Netware TCP/IP Option (MICOM-INTERLAN).
From any accounts I have heard I would keep clear of this. Maybe its just
the lack of support here but one site I know looking for just vt100 and
FTP to a VMS VAX with FUSION is having endless difficulties getting it
all to work. Does not have tn3270 and probably will not. Requires Netbios
and early releases needed several SHELL.CFG fixes. (This may be fixed now).

>I have heard that there is some public domain software somewhere around,
>but don't know where.  We can accept alternative solutions if we can
>realize the above requirements. Although we would like to change out as
>little hardware as possible, we are prepared to change out the network
>cards if it will help us to realise our goal.
I would recommend you consider the FTP(inc) software talking through the Packet
Driver and also the NCSA talking through the packet driver. Novell IPX that
uses the packet driver is avaiable from BYU (thanks Kelly) and thanks to the
NCSA developers it also talks packet driver. NCSA will give you good mult-
session vt100 and has an FTP server and client system. It does not offer
the SMTP and r- command stuff but I understand the FTP(inc.) product has a
good mail/rxxxx/smtp/etc. [* Can someone tell me the product code I use to
order the version of FTP's software to ensure I get the packet driver version
* thanks *].
There are some things you must be aware of if using the packet driver with
Novell. These are explained if you get the Novell drivers from BYU and amount
to ensuring your servers talk Ethernet rather than 802.3. This can be done for
the NP600 and the 3c505s but I dont think for the others.
I dont know about lp redirecting to Novell; maybe some of the Proteon people
have done this ?

>Maybe all of this is just wishful thinking.
Thanks to the great efforts of the various developers we are already well on
the way to this possibility. One of our biggest difficulties was to get
tn3270 coexisting with Novell (ruled out Wollongong and Interlan for this
and tried SIMWARE but like NCSA and 'feel' FTP is good!)

Hope this helps

Dermot O'Beirne
Computer Centre
UCD, Dublin

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (05/11/89)

   Date:         Thu, 11 May 89 13:09:03 GMT
   From: Dermot O'Beirne <DOBEIRNE%IRLEARN.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

 [* Can someone tell me the product code I use to order the version of
    FTP's software to ensure I get the packet driver version  * thanks *].

The version of FTP Software's PC/TCP that supports the packet drivers
is PC-210.

-- Eric

jas@proteon.com ("John A. Shriver") (05/11/89)

No, Proteon has never plumbed Novell spoolers to UNIX lpd spoolers.
However, folks do use the PC/FTP lpr to spool to the Apple
LaserWriters, which all live on Sun's.  Of course, we use the shared
ProNET-10 driver, which was the first shareable NetWare driver.
Most people use WordPerfect on the PC's, which drives the cranky old
HP LaserJet's on the Novell servers just fine.

Since the spooling has to be done as a Value Added Process on a
server, it's not something that could be considered easy.  The VAP
programming environment is not exceptionally friendly.  Or you might
have to kludge it through a really funky printer driver on the server.
It might wind up that the easiest way to do it would be to have a VAP
in the server reflect the data back to some other workstation via IPX,
which in turn would rebundle the data for lpr/TCP to a UNIX machine.

The mail relay, by comparison, is easy, since CC:mail just uses DOS
file sharing to do it's stuff, and has no hooks specific to any file
service protocol.  It will run over NetWare, Vines, NFS, et. al.

bart@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Bart Massey) (05/13/89)

In article <8905110903.AA04354@mcvax.cwi.nl> haho@huldra.UUCP writes:

> Wollongong WIN/TCP & WIN/ROUTE.
> Netware TCP/IP Option (MICOM-INTERLAN).
>
> I have heard that there is some public domain software somewhere around,
> but don't know where.  We can accept alternative solutions if we can
> realize the above requirements. Although we would like to change out as
> little hardware as possible, we are prepared to change out the network
> cards if it will help us to realise our goal.

Apparently it is possible to combine (1) an appropriate version of NetWare,
(2) FTP Software's TCP/IP, and (3) any Ethernet card driver meeting the
"Packet Driver" spec, to get the functionality you're interested in.  It
seems non-trivial, though, so we decided not to try to do it ourselves.
After looking at the options you mention above, we settled on a canned
package from SyTek which supplies all three of the above mentioned
elements.  We've been using this package on several machines for a while
now, and are pretty happy with it.  The main drawback is that it only works
with SyTek's Ethernet card -- fortunately, this card isn't much more
expensive than most of its competitors'...

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!videovax.tek.com!bart
					..tektronix!reed.bitnet!bart