[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC/IP vs. Ungermann-Bass PC-NIU

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (06/03/89)

In article <1992@husc6.harvard.edu> ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) writes:
>	The ni5210 driver was completely broken.  The version in newpcip.tar.Z
>is better and I will have an even better version shortly.

Has anyone done any work with making PC/IP work with an Ungermann-Bass PC-NIU
Ethernet card?

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
	  JPL on-site Software Support
	  earle@Sun.COM
	  earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV	(Guest)

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/04/89)

Choke.  The PC-NIU is one of these smart Ethernet card.  It's use
is not too widespread, and it is expensive.  Hence, not too many
people other than UB have implemented anything for it.  However,
you might dig around in your own company.  Someone there has done
PC-NFS for the thing using the XNS version of the board to spit out
raw ethernet packets.

-Ron

latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex ) (06/06/89)

In article <Jun.4.12.57.44.1989.842@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:

> Choke.  The PC-NIU is one of these smart Ethernet card.  It's use
[deleted]
> PC-NFS for the thing using the XNS version of the board to spit out
> raw ethernet packets.
[deleted]
> -Ron
Actually, its worse than that.  Of the only three things which I have
ever been aware of which ran on that card only one is still in
production.

PC-NFS support from SUN has been dropped in the latest release ( if I
read the release notes correctly !).  The other two products are NET/1
from UB which has finally been fixed into something useable ( not that
I would use it mind you ) and a version of TN3270 which was based on
the UB libraries.

cheers
/S*

geoff@hinode.east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun ECD - R.H. coast near the top) (06/07/89)

In article <Jun.5.13.47.56.1989.8384@pilot.njin.net> latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex ) writes:
>In article <Jun.4.12.57.44.1989.842@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>
>> Choke.  The PC-NIU is one of these smart Ethernet card.  It's use
>[deleted]
>> PC-NFS for the thing using the XNS version of the board to spit out
>> raw ethernet packets.
>[deleted]
>> -Ron
>
>PC-NFS support from SUN has been dropped in the latest release ( if I
>read the release notes correctly !).  The other two products are NET/1
>from UB which has finally been fixed into something useable ( not that
>I would use it mind you ) and a version of TN3270 which was based on
>the UB libraries.

Let me clarify Alex's comments: I quote from the marketing blurb:

~  F. NOT in this release:
~  -----------------------
~
~  [...]
~
~  	Support for intelligent Excelan cards, token ring drivers or
~  	the Ungermann-Bass NIU driver.  Ungermann-Bass is now providing
~  	the NIU driver for PC-NFS.  Sun still provides the Ungermann-Bass
~  	NIC driver with PC-NFS. [...]
~
~

In other words, an NIU driver is still available, but you should
contact U-B to obtain it. This is so that they can keep the various
drivers in sync.

Also, if you are currently running PC-NFS over an NIU, we've
done nothing to break it, though you will need to install as type
"Other" and handcraft the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG files based on
your current ones.

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: garnold@sun.com
Manager, PC-NFS Engineering                UUCP: ....!sun!garnold
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"A disclaimer? Sure, at that price you can have half a dozen of 'em."

gts@violet.berkeley.edu (Greg Small) (06/09/89)

= Article 1631 of comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc:
= From: ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie)
= Choke.  The PC-NIU is one of these smart Ethernet card.  It's use is not too
= widespread, and it is expensive.  Hence, not too many people other than UB
= have implemented anything for it.  .......
=
= Article 1633 of comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc:
= From: latzko@pilot.njin.net (Alex )
= Actually, its worse than that.  Of the only three things which I have ever
= been aware of which ran on that card only one is still in production.

This kind of loose talk irritates me rather more than a bit.  If we had not
been too technically backward to cope with the early intelligent Ethernet
adapters, then the production volume would be much higher and the price much
lower.  The DOS memory impact of an intelligent adapter such as UB's PCNIU
is MUCH lower than the dumb adapters.  With UB's TCP-PC Release 16.0, the
DOS resident interface is about 18k and provides simultaneous Telnet, Netbios,
TCP/UDP/IP and raw Ethernet to the TCP/IP code on the board.  This kind of full
service interface makes the board valuable not cheap.

Gregory T Small                                      (415)642-5979
Personal Computer Networking & Communications        gts@violet.Berkeley.EDU
Workstation Support Services - Software Group        ucbvax!jade!gts
267 Evans Hall                                       SPGGTS@UCBCMSA.BITNET
University of California, Berkeley, Ca 94720