[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Public Domain drivers for Ethernet cards

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (05/25/89)

Does anyone have a list of sources available for
controlling any IBMPC compatible Ethernet cards,
specfically the 3c501 and wd8003 cards?

I would be primarily interested in socket level and
tcp/udp/ip level code and the low level code that
talks to the NIC.

thanks,

glenn
--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (05/30/89)

Assuming you want something copyrighted such that you can use it in a product:

NCSA Telnet/FTP is available in source form, has a driver for the
3C501, but the only way it can use a WD8003 is via the Clarkson Packet
Driver, which has a no-commercial-use copyright.  NCSA puts the
application and the protocol stack in the same .EXE file, and I don't
think the programming interface looks much like sockets (I am not sure
how well the interface is defined, either).

The MIT/CMU/Harvard PC-IP is also available in source form, has a
driver for the 3C501 and gets to the WD8003 via the Packet Driver spec
(see above).  This also puts the protocol stack in the .EXE with the
application, and the interface looks nothing like sockets, making
heavy use of upcalls and a built-in tasking package (but it is fairly
well defined).

If you want a separate protocol stack, and/or a socket library, you
have to go to the commercial packages: Sun's PC/NFS and FTP's PC/TCP
have the drivers you want, and the programming interface, but source
(if you really need it) costs quite a bit.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

In article <8905301603.AA25960@vax.ftp.com> jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:

   ... but the only way it can use a WD8003 is via the Clarkson Packet
   Driver, which has a no-commercial-use copyright. ...

No longer.  The Clarkson packet driver collection is now covered by the
GNU General Public License.  You can sell it if you wish, you just can't
restrict redistribution by your customers.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
I'm a right-to-lifer -- everyone has a right to earn a living sufficient to

timk@NCSA.UIUC.EDU (Tim Krauskopf) (06/12/89)

	From: James Van Bokkelen <jbvb@vax.ftp.com>
	To: ccicpg!swonk
	Cc: pcip@TWG.COM
	Subject: Re: Public Domain drivers for Ethernet cards

	Assuming you want something copyrighted such that you can use it in a product:

	NCSA Telnet/FTP is available in source form, has a driver for the
	3C501, but the only way it can use a WD8003 is via the Clarkson Packet
	Driver, which has a no-commercial-use copyright.  NCSA puts the
	application and the protocol stack in the same .EXE file, and I don't
	think the programming interface looks much like sockets (I am not sure
	how well the interface is defined, either).

Let me fill in:

NCSA Telnet supports several boards in our public domain implementation:
3C501,WD8003E,UB PC/NIC,NI5210,3C523 and UB NIC/PS2.  You don't need
the packet driver implementation for these boards, they are supported
in version 2.2.  V2.3 this summer will add 3C503 and LocalTalk support.

We do put the application and TCP/IP in the same .EXE file so there is
NO memory overhead when the program is not running.  Our socket interface
is reasonably (I hesitate to say "fully") documented.  It supports
multiple streams and is the same on the PC and the Macintosh.  It is
NOT, however, compatible with Berkeley sockets which is why I didn't
respond to the earlier message.  He was quite BSD-oriented.

Anonymous FTP from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50).

Tim Krauskopf                timk@ncsa.uiuc.edu (ARPA)

National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (06/14/89)

In article <8905301603.AA25960@vax.ftp.com>, jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James Van Bokkelen) writes:
> The MIT/CMU/Harvard PC-IP is also available in source form, has a
> driver for the 3C501 and gets to the WD8003 via the Packet Driver spec
> (see above).

	PC/IP from husc6.harvard.edu includes a real driver for the WD8003;
it does not require the packet driver.

					Dan Lanciani
					ddl@harvard.*