[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA Telnet with WD8003A PS/2 card

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) (12/17/88)

Hi Alan:

I've tried out the modified NCSA Telnet and it basically work fine.  Thanks!
I do have a problem though.  When downloading a large file from a Sun 4
to the PC, the PC will take in the first few trunks and then hangs.
There is no way to recover except reboot.  I've downloaded the same file
from the same machine to a PC AT also running NCSA telnet (with 3COM 301).
without any problem.  Any hint on that?

P.S.:  I've tried changing those rwin, mtu and maxsg parameters and they
       don't help.  I've also changed the interrupt level of the WD8003A
       card to something other than INT 3 (though I understand NCSA
       Telnet doesn't use it).  The NCSA manual suggests that it may still
       be a factor?

       All in all, no luck!

Your help appreciated...

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (12/27/88)

> /* Written by andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca */
> I've tried out the modified NCSA Telnet and it basically work fine.  Thanks!
> I do have a problem though.  When downloading a large file from a Sun 4
> to the PC, the PC will take in the first few trunks and then hangs.

We had the same problem with NCSA PC Telnet on our Compaq 386/20 using a 3COM
3C501 transferring files that were over 40 Kb to the PC from any of our
super-minis.  The folks at NCSA that I spoke with told me that it must be our
hardware, because they had not had complaints about this from anyone else,
but card swapping with a different PC, and changing software parameters
didn't help.

I also tried PCIP, the TCP/IP software for PC's.  The version I got was
written in C, and worked fine, except that it came with TFTP instead of FTP.
This was the only reason we didn't keep it very long.

We eventually solved this problem by purchasing Sun's PC/NFS product.  Sun's
FTP works without problems, and we like and use the other features it
provides (network disk, spooling to UNIX printer queues).  I still prefer the
user interface of the telnet program from NCSA to the one provided by Sun.

Patrick Wolfe  (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.

jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) (01/10/89)

In article <17800001@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> > /* Written by andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca */
> > I've tried out the modified NCSA Telnet and it basically work fine.  Thanks!
                       ^^^^^^^^
> > I do have a problem though.  When downloading a large file from a Sun 4
> > to the PC, the PC will take in the first few trunks and then hangs.

Is it possible that the "modification" referred to above, if not applied
to my NCSA v2.2 package is why I'm not getting very far on a ps/2/50 with
a WD8003ET/A card installed?  I'm not aware of mods to 2.2.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Alan_Ballard@MTSG.UBC.CA (01/11/89)

> Is it possible that the "modification" referred to above, if not applied
> to my NCSA v2.2 package is why I'm not getting very far on a ps/2/50 with
> a WD8003ET/A card installed?  I'm not aware of mods to 2.2.

The distributed version of NCSA v2.2 does not support the 8003A.
I modified the 8003 driver to produce an 8003A driver.
This can be downloaded from  the anonymous FTP server at NCSA
(128.174.20.50) directory NCSA_Telnet\contributions.

Alternatively, you can get an ARC file containing it via
anonymous FTP from mtsg.ubc.ca (128.189.103.1)
file PC1:NCSAUBC.ARC

So far I have had two people report problems with this, and have not heard
whether they were resolved.  It works fine here at UBC.  I'd like to
know if anybody else is using it successfully.

jlfox@cisunx.UUCP (James L Fox) (01/13/89)

Be sure to use...
hardware=wd8003a
OR
hardware=8003a
and NOT
hardware=WD8003A
in config.tel with the modified (for PS/2) NCSA Telnet.
Getting it to run will be less stressful!
:-)
--Jim Fox
p.s. It's working fine for me on PS/2 model 50/60's.

arm@AQUA.WHOI.EDU (07/06/89)

Hi Alan.

I am trying to run your WD8003A version of NCSA Telnet and am
having trouble getting it started up.  We run the UIUC version
on our PC bus machines both in a standard and packet-driver
configuration, so I have some experience with the software.

It must be my configuration file I suppose, but I am lost after
several days debugging.  If there is a packet driver for the WD8003A
board I'd love to hear about it.  Otherwize, can I give you a call?
If so, please mail me back a phone number I can reach you at.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

--Andy Maffei
  Network Manager
  Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution