[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Packet driver for WD8003A board?

arm@AQUA.WHOI.EDU (07/03/89)

I am looking for a packet driver for the WD8003A Ethernet board. This
is the Microchannel version of the WD8003E ethernet board.  I have
tried the WD8003E packet driver available on sun.soe.clarkson.edu
without success and would like to know if a WD8003A version is available
before modifying WD8003E sources. Thank you.

--Andy Maffei

xjeldc@GEMINI.LDC.LU.SE (Jan Engvald LDC) (07/11/89)

>I am looking for a packet driver for the WD8003A Ethernet board. This
>is the Microchannel version of the WD8003E ethernet board.  I have
>tried the WD8003E packet driver available on sun.soe.clarkson.edu
>without success and would like to know if a WD8003A version is available
>before modifying WD8003E sources. Thank you.
>
>--Andy Maffei

Yes, I have done the neccessary modifications to the driver so it can use
the microchannel WD8003ET/A card. The code is available for anonymous FTP
from my MS-DOS PC (running KA9Q NET when I'm not using it myself, usuallay
01 am to 10 am Middle European summer time). FTP to p6xje.ldc.lu.se
(130.235.133.7) and go to directory network/pktdriver/drivers. There is
one ARC file with just the WD8003E.COM driver named WD800COM.ARC, another
named PKTDRIVER.ARC with everything in it, and then all the individual files.

Here is the contents of UPPD32E.DOC:

I have now updated the packet driver code for Western Digital Ethernet
cards to handle the micro channel version WD8003ET/A.

Also, if you have a WD8003EBT which has 32 kbyte, all of that memory is
used - not just 8 kbyte (and the WD8003ET/A will use all its 16 kbyte).
The extra memory is used for the receive buffer chain, and if you have
HEAVY broadcast traffic you loose fewer Ethernet frames and can avoid a
noticable slow down in such cases. If you have light broadcast traffic
there is no change in speed.

I changed the interrupt level argument default from 2 to 3 so it is the
same as the default setting of delivered hardware.

The receive code is also somewhat simplified, e g counter interrupt is
not enabled and corresponding code removed (it didn't do anything useful).

TAIL.ASM needed changes to allow interrupt levels above 7 not just for
AT machines, but also for PS/2 with micro channel bus. Not to confuse,
I made related changes also in HEAD.ASM.

There were no errorlevels defined and you could not test if a driver load
was successfull or not. In version 3.2e are now used some of the following
errorlevels:

;
; _____________________  0 = normal
; 			 1 = unsuitable memory address given; corrected
; In most cases every-	 2 = unsuitable IRQ level given; corrected
; thing should work as	 3 = unsuitable DMA channel given; corrected
; expected for lev 1-5	 4 = unsuitable IO addr given; corrected (only 1 card)
; _____________________	 5 = packet driver for this int # already loaded
; External errors, when	 6 = general cable failure (but pkt driver is loaded)
; corrected normal	 7 = network cable is open             -"-
; operation starts	 8 = network cable is shorted          -"-
; _____________________  9 =
; Packet driver not	10 = usage message
; loaded. A new load	11 = arguments out of range
; attempt must be done	12 = unspecified device initialization error
;			13 =
;			14 = suggested memory already occupied
;			15 = suggested IRQ already occupied
;			16 = suggested DMA channel already occupied
;			17 = could not find the network card at this IO address

This code is tested with all three card types (WD8003E, WD8003EBT and
WD8003ET/A) in PS/2-50 and PS/2-70 as well as different AT machines,
but only a few XT or the like is yet tested.

Jan Engvald, Lund University Computing Center
   Address: Box 783                E-mail: xjeldc@ldc.lu.se
            S-220 07 LUND     Earn/Bitnet: xjeldc@seldc52
            SWEDEN           (Span/Hepnet: Sweden::Gemini::xjeldc)
    Office: Soelvegatan 18         VAXPSI: psi%24020031020720::xjeldc
 Telephone: +46 46 107458          (X.400: C=se; A=TeDe; P=Sunet; O=lu;
   Telefax: +46 46 138225                  OU=ldc; S=Engvald; G=Jan)

In article <8907031536.AA09398@aqua.whoi.edu> arm@AQUA.WHOI.EDU writes:

   I am looking for a packet driver for the WD8003A Ethernet board.

Courtesy of Jan Engvald <xjeldc@gemini.ldc.lu.se>, we now have one.  Since
it isn't stable yet, I suggest that you wait for the next release of the
packet drivers, which will be in about two weeks.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
I'm not the NRA, and I vote twice.